Wanna buy a JEM, BUT...

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
NOT!!!

...I have a KH-2 to give away.

The problem is, that I LOVE my KH-2, and you have a good sound for distortion etc.. So it´s hard to give away...:(.

The problem is, that I have no good Cleansounds with it. I mean the neck is quite the same on both guitars. It´s only I love it so much. But I don´t want to wait ;).

The other Thing is, I don´t want all my guitars to be signatures. I HATE it, that only signaturemodels can satisfy me (well, I also have my own signaturemodel designt by a guitarbuilder ;)). I don´t think it´s in my mind, signaturemodels are better built guitars, aren´t they? I played lots of guitars, and everytime it was a signature I wanted...

The KH is a very good guitar, but I want a JEM, too...so what should I do, what do you think? It´s a really hard descision!

With a JEM I can go everywhere! Metal, Rock, Blues, even a little bit Jazz ;). With the KH I HAVE to play Metal, that sucks a little bit, but I love this guitar (I said that before, right ;))?
Willin

Keep the KH-2, work, and save up for the JEM maybe? If you love the KH-2 then you're going to regret selling it away one day.
dex

Swap the neck pickup from 81 to 89.
The 89 is efectively 2 pickups in one - in coil split mode it sounds spot on like an EMG SA which is awesome straty and clean and in normal mode it sounds like an 85 which is very, very smooth and even more violin like than the 81.
Keep your favorite guitar and get extra tones out of it.

Or do what I did, keep the KH2 stock with the 2 81's (I actually have an MII with 81 set) and get a second hand Jem of ebay.

ilia
NOT!!!

No, I would never ever change a Pickup on a signature guitar!!!

If you wanna sell it you won´t get half of the price it is worth...

Well, I´m gettin more and more confessed by the JEM...because of the veryvery bad Cleansound of the EMGs...what the f*ck is going on with me ;)?

But I really wanna keep it, it has a history, too. Playing a lot, a lot and a lot...it really means something to me, and I´m on finding out how much it does ;). Maybe not enough to sell it for a JEM...i don´t know yet!
Gabe Nickelson

NOT!!! wrote:No, I would never ever change a Pickup on a signature guitar!!!

If you wanna sell it you won´t get half of the price it is worth...
I agree with dex. I have a LP with a 81 and 89 with the coil tap. Dude, chill out. If you decide to sell your KH guitar, you can always put the old pickup in, right?

Well, I´m gettin more and more confessed by the JEM...because of the veryvery bad Cleansound of the EMGs...what the f*ck is going on with me ;)?
Ever think about installing EMG's in the Jem? Add the 89 and maybe you'll get a little more dimension to your tone.

Gabe
dex

Gabe, do you manage to get strat like tones from the LP with the split 89 in it?
I've always wondered how true is what people say about EMG's - that they sound the same in any guitar.

I know 81's are very close in LP and ESP MII but is the split 89 even close to a real clean straty sound?

ilia
Gabe Nickelson

dex wrote:Gabe, do you manage to get strat like tones from the LP with the split 89 in it?
No, but it was much cleaner and was clearly a single coil like tone. It was probably related to the density of my guitar, that's the only thing I can think of. I haven't tried the 89 split in any other guitar so I'm not best to judge it. Plus I didn't get much noise from it as I would with a true strat singlecoil. That's why I own a strat. :D

Gabe