Yngwie's Signature Stratocaster, thinking about buying one..

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
GuitarStrings

Hey does anybody on this forum has a Yngwie Model Stratocaster? I am thinking of buying one... they said it's a very good guitar, weird neck though, it takes a while for getting used of the scalloped board etc... I am just curious, I am seriously thinking of buying one, but one with humbucker though...
They also said that it's pretty difficult to play chords with scalloped neck because when you push a little harder you change the note... it's like bending...
Last edited by GuitarStrings on Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamera
Newcomer

The Yngwie model doesn't come with a humbucker option. Actually if you're not sure about the scalloped neck and you want different pickups, why do you want an Yngwie strat?

If you're not sure you want a scalloped neck but you want the ability to play fast without the string bending problem consider jumbo frets instead.

If you want a strat w/ a humbucker consider an HSS or a fat strat.

If you just like the Yngwie name, put a "PLAY LOUD" sticker on your current guitar. ;)
metal=life
Newcomer

I personally do not like the scalloped fretboard. Its a bit more difficult to play fast but with jumbo frets its a lot easier. If you like the single coil sound better than hums than go for a strat. The Yngwie model is nothing special, just a scalloped neck.
gypc

There are 2 reasons why I don't own an Yngwie Strat. I don't play a Strat comfortably because the volume knob is to close to my hand. Also, not enough frets. Now, when I played one, I absolutly loved the scalloped fretboard. So I scalloped my NightSwan and never looked back. If you can control a scalloped fretboard, you'll fall inlove with it!!

If you havn't played one, play it a couple of times before you make your decision. If you can control it when playing scales and chords.....buy it!!!!! and thank me later!!

Oh and if you do, keep those stock pickups in. they are awesome!
NOT!!!

Well, I have no Malmsteen Strat, but I played one!

Just like a normal guitar. If you put your finger on the string, you will realize, that it doesn´t touch the fretboard. So if there´s a scalloped or a non scalloped makes no diffrence ;).

You have more grip in bendings, what I think is a little bit difficult is sliding, but you get used to it!

My old Yamaha is at a Guitarbuilder´s right now, and I think the scalloping will be done in 1 month maximum, so I have such a guiatr, too ;).

But it starts in the 10th fret
Gamera
Newcomer

gypc wrote: Oh and if you do, keep those stock pickups in. they are awesome!
That's the DiMarzio HS-3 in the bridge. While it's not an overly "hot" pickup, it's got a fantastic tone with more bass and bite than a standard strat. One thing I've noticed about that pickup too (I'm using it in the neck position) is that it has a strange but awesome midrange "sweet spot" that becomes really evident when playing right around the 12th fret.
Shreddy Krueger

I just bought an 89' RG 550 that I'm having scalloped as we speak.
I love the feel of the older Ibanez RG's but I was really looking to avoid some of the shortcomings as far as features for what I'm used to(bridge humbucker & 24 frets) of the Malmsteen model.
Not to mention the price tag :lol: I've bought enough damn guitars this year.
If you're not severely neurotic like me though...
The Malmsteen strat is is VERY cool guitar.

Modding an RG was my solution however....to each their own.

Scalloped necks are a whole diffrent animal though, if you are gonna put down the cash for a Malmsteen, I'd try & play a few first....
Shreddy Krueger

I just bought an 89' RG 550 that I'm having scalloped as we speak.
I love the feel of the older Ibanez RG's but I was really looking to avoid some of the shortcomings as far as features for what I'm used to(bridge humbucker & 24 frets) of the Malmsteen model.
Not to mention the price tag :lol: I've bought enough damn guitars this year.
If you're not severely neurotic like me though...
The Malmsteen strat is is VERY cool guitar.

Modding an RG was my solution however....to each their own.

Scalloped necks are a whole diffrent animal though, if you are gonna put down the cash for a Malmsteen, I'd try & play a few first....