Is it possible to put a FR + locking nut into a guitar?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Patill

Hey guys,

I have an Ibanez SA here with a Piezo trem and I would like to put a Floyd Rose in, including a locking nut on the neck. Of course it should be absolutely in tune afterwards. Is that possible if you have the tools to do it? I don´t wanna ruin any finish (besides the one I´m taking off for the hole) and I wanna keep the old neck, so I would have to figure something out for the locking nut.
DomitianX

Yes its possible, but its also very easy to mess up. I would have someone that knows what they are doing do it, unless you have a bunch of spare guitars to test on.
Patill

quanta costa :)?
j.arledge

if you get some higher quality locking tuners and put a graphite nut on with a string retainer bar you wouldn't need a locking nut.

as for the trem swapping out with a floyd , i wouldn't count on it . A wilks style trem would more then likley fit and be just as useful. Since the guitar doesn't have a floyd route you wont be able to go up very far and a wilks style trem would actually give you more room to pull up.

I suggest you save for a guitar that already has what you are looking for. It will be less expensive that way.

http://www.rondomusic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; check out thier selection of agile guitars.
http://www.haloguitars.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; kahlers rule
Patill

j.arledge wrote: I suggest you save for a guitar that already has what you are looking for. It will be less expensive that way.

I already have four guitars with those specs that cost lots more than redoing this one :mrgreen:. The thing is, I´ve been wanting a sustainer since I played one at the Music exhibition Frankfurt, but I don´t wanna put it into my expensive guitars, and I can´t buy me another one right now, so I think it´s a good idea to go with this one and customize it a bit.

I also thought about locking tuners and a Backstop, but I have a bad feeling this can´t withstand a nice and shiny trem use^^. I mean it should be perfectly in tune after a dive bomb, also after three or four dive bombs.
Roger

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a new guitar that already has a floyd in it?
RAI

By the time you drop a couple of hundred bucks on a Floyd, and a few more hundred on the work to have it installed, and then add the cost of the Sustainer and the installation of that, you might as well pick up a Fernandes guitar.
Patill

Roger wrote:Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a new guitar that already has a floyd in it?

no, as said above.

I also thought about just putting some locking tuners on. Maybe that´ll work.
DomitianX

Patill wrote:
Roger wrote:Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy a new guitar that already has a floyd in it?

no, as said above.

I also thought about just putting some locking tuners on. Maybe that´ll work.
Sell the one you bought that doesnt suit your needs and buy the one that does. Making a floyd, or even a locking nut, fit a guitar that wasnt designed for one and have it stay in tune is not a simple process.
Patill

no, you don´t understand, I want it in this guitar.
RAI

Why that guitar?
Do you love the sound, or the feel of it?
If that's the case, if you do all that work to it, it won't sound or feel like the same guitar anymore.
And all the work is irreversible.....

Think long and hard, and if it's still what you want to do, find yourself a very, very capable luthier that can do the work.
Enjoy your new machine........
Patill

well, the wood interacts pretty good, it feels pretty good and it´s just the right guitar to put a hand on myself. Also, if I put in a sustainer and some locking tuners won´t change anything to its feel as a guitar.
Patill

so guys, I have another question now. I bought me some locking tuners right now for this guitar.

The problem is: The old tuners which are on the guita rright now are screwed into the wood, the new ones I bought do not have screws (they´re from Shaller for Fender guitars). I think it´s no problem to mount these things for me, but will they hold and work properly? I´ve not opened them yet to see how it works without screwing them onto the neck...