Volume Pot Problem?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Stephen Brown

My volume pot shaft is spinning way to fast.ie:If I catch it goes from max to 0 with the slightest touch, accidently. Is there a way to give it more friction & slow it down? Pair of pliers & work my way around evenly? Bend the thread collar?

New pot is not an option. :) :D Btw this pot is already in the guitar & soldered together.

Any ideas :?:

Thanks.... :peace
lydian2000

Any access to the big screw (=the nut) ?

Otherwise...looks like a pain indeed.

Good luck!

:peace
Stephen Brown

lydian2000 wrote:Any access to the big screw (=the nut) ?
Inside the casing right? I've never taken one apart before.

I'll be honest here.

Two 1 Meg Dimarzio pots. I put them in the guitar & then sent the axe off to Mr tech. He wired the guitar up. Got it back. Brilliant.

Then oops....

I checked the guitar pot travel in both pots only to find.....guess what?

I put the volume pot in the tone hole & the tone pot in the volume hole. The volume pot has more bite but is in the position of the tone area & that's right, the tone pot is in the volume position. Live & learn. I didn't check the travel in both pots & assumed they would both be equal. Yep...my fault. I should of checked.

Hence the reason why one is freely movable & the other has the correct bite but in the wrong position.

This is where I hit a root & b5 chord. :lol:
Patill

I´ve had this problem, too with my volume pot, it even did that without touching it. It had to be replaced. If you don´t wanna do that, maybe attach some rubber to the guitar under the knob (which will be screwed onto the shaft) and screw th knob onto it while making shure it touches the rubber.

But I´d go for a new pot if nothing helps^^.
Jeries

FRETPICK wrote:New pot is not an option.
unless its a 1959 les paul burst or 50s strat/tele/broadcaster- get a new pot
Stephen Brown

Cool.

Services:Travel £8, Tech £45, part £11, collection travel £8
D.I.Y: E-Bay question to seller: Ask that the correct part is infact a volume part & not a loose tone pot part, before shipping. Solder it in D.I.Y style.

Both are viable options but it is nice to see a pro solder job that is clipped & neat into place, inside the cavity.

(The other axe, my main.)
My black Ibanez had the fret's filed off by a trainee tech who didn't know what he was doing, without permission from the owner, me. I flipped my lid :x & had to send it back, he even left the back plate off at delivery :shock: . It will never be the same again. I should of seeked compensation but I waited another week & got back a barely passable, playable guitar. The dude flat stoned all 24 frets & didn't re-level with the correct circumference or re-buff. It was like playing on sand paper frets. Got to watch those outsourced sub contractors. Hence the reason why the neck is note flat in areas. There is no fret wire left. In the week he had it he try to amend his GIANT hash up, it JUST passed & is in it's present state today. Trauma. The original reason for service? To have the trem bar port tightened, specific instructions "Tighten the trem bar port inside the trem & do not touch the neck, please". "It will be fine, pick it up next week" :shock: 3 weeks later. :arrow: :| It's a miracle it still plays & it's a real testimony to Ibanez's build quality.

3 months after that the shop closed. :roll: Do know what the guy who ran the shop said to me when I returned the axe to be repaired? "What is a circumference" I mean we are talking fret's here. :D

Unbelievable.

Thanks for the musicians chat.
Last edited by Stephen Brown on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
j.arledge

well it really isn't hard to replace a pot yourself. If you are trying to increase friction you could try and find a rubber washer that would contact the body and bottom of the knob. The only problem is that some rubbers can have a reaction with certain kinds of finishes , so there is a chance that if the rubber washer was on the guitar long enough it could cause some discoloration under the knob.

i worked as a guitar tech and wouldn't touch certain cases. I dont have the right tools to do fret work like recrowns, or leveling. So i turned those people away. You have to know what you can and cant do. I also dont have a lot of the right clamps to do acoustic bridges and bracing work. I can do some minor work on certain model acoustics but again i know when to say no. Best advise is to find someone that is well known or that you know for certain can do the work.

I can do electronics, routing, setups, and other customizations like sustainers but i had one guy that wanted me to route out a middle pickup in like an orginal 1967 gibson es 335 (i dont remember the exact specifics) but i originaly thought it was a reissue so i was like sure i'll do it. We talked more and he said he had taken it to a few places in Dallas and they told him they wouldn't do it, and i asked him what they said and then figured out it was an original. I told him he'd be better off getting a reissue and modding it or just finding something else.
Stephen Brown

Handy...
---------------------
j.arledge wrote: an orginal 1967 gibson es 335
:shock: