Floyd Rose setup and trem angle. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Mr. Supertron

Ok first off I have an original edge tremolo. It was set up fine before. I had to take the strings off it to replace a pick up. anyways, when I put strings back on the guitar I can now no longer set the trem angle. Its maxed out and the bridge is still pointing up. Then I keep breaking the High E string. No matter what i do, things are not working and I don't understand at all. I'm destroying sets of strings. I tried putting the strings on looser and soon as I tune to E forget it, You can; have the angle and strings always break. Can someone help me?
Jeries

take it into a professional and get it set up dont mess with it any more

the problem was is you cant take more than 1 string off at a time on a floating trem. if you do this happens...

if you need to take more than one off... get a 9v battery, wrap it in tissue- pull the whammybar down and jam it behind the bridge, take of the strings/changethem/swap pickups... and then (restring if needed) and take out the battery.

i bet whats happening is the guitar wont get in tune, one side gets in but the other 3 get really bad out and by the time your trying to get it useable you've tuned up and up and up and the bridge is a foot off the guitar.
j.arledge

http://www.vai.com/messageboard/viewtop ... =2&t=25217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

check that out, if you are still having issues PM me.
Mr. Supertron

j.arledge wrote:http://www.vai.com/messageboard/viewtop ... =2&t=25217

check that out, if you are still having issues PM me.
I remember that post. Thanks for reminding me about it. You have answered my question. I am gonna get a 4th spring for it because I am using .10s and that makes so much sense now. Rich Harris at Ibanez Rules has also told me to try put my springs like \l/ .
j.arledge

the /I\ setup will give more tension but it seems like it makes the tremelo stiffer , meaning it is harder to do a flutter or things like that.
Patill

Jeries wrote: the problem was is you cant take more than 1 string off at a time on a floating trem. if you do this happens...

??? why should something like this happen? I take all the strings off most of the time to clean the floyd, oil the neck or do something with the pickups. You also don´t need a 9v battery or anything, just loosen the strings, nothing will break or go unfunctional. The trem will rest on the wood with almost no spring tension, you won´t even see any imprint in the wood.

As for the problem: First of all, if you can´t get the trem down even with the spring screws fully in, the only two ways this can happen is that you forgot a trem spring or that you used a too high string gauge. Physically these are the only two options. Also remember, that you do NOT set the Edge even to the body and that it has to raise out of the body a little. What you set even are the knifes, which you can see on the side of the trem (maybe you´ll need a flashlight^^).

Breaking the high E-String doesn´t have anything to do with that, sounds like you have a sharp edge somewhere where the E-String lies on. Should be replaced then. But breaking a string just because a trem doesn´t have its correct angle isn´t very logical, since the tension on the spring is always the same when tuned to E.

Question: How much experience do you have with loating trems like the edge? I´ve had such problems when I began, too, but today I know they can easily be taken care of.
Jeries

[quote="Patill??? why should something like this happen? I take all the strings off most of the time to clean the floyd, oil the neck or do something with the pickups. You also don´t need a 9v battery or anything, just loosen the strings, nothing will break or go unfunctional. The trem will rest on the wood with almost no spring tension, you won´t even see any imprint in the wood.[/quote]

Is your bridge floating? so you can go up and down?
how many springs do you have?

I bet $1 if everyone with a guitar with a floyd took all the strings off 99& of them would need a professional to put it back to normal.
Patill

Jeries wrote: Is your bridge floating? so you can go up and down?
how many springs do you have?

I bet $1 if everyone with a guitar with a floyd took all the strings off 99& of them would need a professional to put it back to normal.
I got 3 guitars with a Floyd Rose and one with nan Edge Pro (which would be the JEM).

But why would people need a professional? You just take all the strings off and the Floyd just lies there. You turn the guitar around and take the springs out. Now you can take out the floyd.
When you´re done, you lay the floyd just as it was laying before (which would simply be the knifes against the posts), put the springs in, put the strings on, and done.

What would you need a professional for that^^? It´s physically absolutely impossible, that the trem is at any other angle than before if you didn´t turn any screws. And with the springs in the trem is absolutely unable to move anywhere wrong.
Mr. Supertron

I have 3 springs but I was told by my experianced neighbor to add a fourth spring. Thats all the problem is. The .10s are pulling the bridge forward so the additional spring will keep more tension and balance.

Taking the tremolo off the guitar is easy, I have done it before and put it back on and it worked fine. Thanks to the Tech section on Ibanez rules anyone can do it. Its quite simple. Thanks to some online sources, friends and you guys I know what i have to do.
Patill

Mr. Supertron wrote:I have 3 springs but I was told by my experianced neighbor to add a fourth spring. Thats all the problem is. The .10s are pulling the bridge forward so the additional spring will keep more tension and balance.
well, let´s talk facts now here. What gauge was on the guitar before you had the problem and what gauge is on it now?

Please don´t take any more advice from your experienced neighbour :x
Mr. Supertron

.10's as for why it doesn't work now I do not know But as I have read, the spring tension from 3 springs is gonna be pretty tight for those but you can get away with it, but I dunno why not this time
Mr. Supertron

could old springs be a problem?
Patill

Mr. Supertron wrote:.10's as for why it doesn't work now I do not know But as I have read, the spring tension from 3 springs is gonna be pretty tight for those but you can get away with it, but I dunno why not this time
so what string gauge is it exactly? .10 to .46 or .10 to .52, or did you get Zakk Wyldes Boomers with .10 to .60? And again, I´m asking you what gauge it was before and what gauge it is now???

Please, if you want some help you have to be a little bit more specific. And no, springs usually don´t age in that kind of way.
Last edited by Patill on Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Supertron

Patill wrote:
Mr. Supertron wrote:.10's as for why it doesn't work now I do not know But as I have read, the spring tension from 3 springs is gonna be pretty tight for those but you can get away with it, but I dunno why not this time
so what string gauge is it exactly? .10 to .46 or .10 to .52, or did you get Zakk Wyldes Boomers with .10 to .60?

and no, springs usually don´t age in that kind of way.
.10 to .46 I hope this helps with your answer
Patill

three springs are enough for that, take out the fourth spring, it´ll just be needles ballast.

What gauge was on the trem before you got problems? Did you try to screw the screws on the back of the guitar into the body to tense the springs? If yes, that´s what you mean by they´re as tight as possible, right? And the metal that holds the springs touches the body, and the trem isn´t even????? Actually that´s impossible, if you didn´t tune your guitar up several half steps.

Can you upload a picture of the problem, please? I´d like to have a view of the back of the guitar with the springs and a view of the edges angle to the body. Actually if nothing is dramatically broken so far, this should be fixed very fast.

Plus, you do know that if you do have an Edge (not Edge Pro, Lo Pro, Edge II or III) it should be looking like this (NOT even to the body):

Pic is from Ibanezrules.
Last edited by Patill on Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.