6 or 7?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
miker

What if you want all those strings on a guitar?
RAI

miker wrote:Image
I don't hear that guy complaining about the neck being too wide...
justcartilage

6 or 7. It's such a personal preference. I, for one, prefer 7.

I was in the army in Panama, when Ibanez first released the RG 7 string and I couldn't wait to get back to the states to get one. And get one I did. A royal blue RG7620 which I still have to this day. It's a bit different now: installed dimarzio middle pickup and a vine engraved mirror pickguard. A lovely machine. Sometimes I prefer it to my UV777.

Anyway, since converting to 7 strings, I find it hard to go back to six. Having that additional string opens up so many possibilities. I don't have to mess around with drop d tunings, chords sound that much bigger, and who could resist that deep chugga chugga of a low b? When I go back to 6 string necks, they feel a bit puny actually. Admitedly, they do feel a bit easier to play, but I still think a bit limited without that string. It's kind of like going from playing an acoustic then electric. The electric is easier, but can't do what an acoustic can. Or sound like it anyway.

As far as brands are concnerned, I think I've tried just about every 7 type of 7 string except Carvin, and all but Ibanez feel bulky and frankly don't sound all that great. Dimarzio have really done the right thing in regards to nailing down the tone of that big b string. A nice even tone balance throughout the guitar. Also, the RG neck is a bit different than the UV. I don't know what they call the UV neck, but it's very "wizard-ish".

Ok, I'm rambling. Just hope it helps you make a decision. :)

Cheers,
J
Guitarmiester

justcartilage wrote: As far as brands are concnerned, I think I've tried just about every 7 type of 7 string except Carvin, and all but Ibanez feel bulky and frankly don't sound all that great. Dimarzio have really done the right thing in regards to nailing down the tone of that big b string. A nice even tone balance throughout the guitar. Also, the RG neck is a bit different than the UV. I don't know what they call the UV neck, but it's very "wizard-ish".
+1

Other than Ibanez, the neck of every other 7-string guitar I've played felt bulky. Most Ibanez 7's have a surprisingly thin neck, but a bit wider to accommodate the extra string. I've yet to come across a UV, but I have a feeling when I find one I may end up buying it. :lol:
bluesbreaker

If you wanna more strings, get an orchestral harp.
Jeries

my ibanez rg7321 has the most unique overall sound of any guitar i've ever played

its not like an RG its not like a strat or a les paul or something customer...

just the tone it possesses on all the switch settings especially clean is just different and deep and very interesting...
teokiatuan

-.-

what's up with the people getting me to get pianos or harps.

i just want that extra 7th to play slightly lower stuff without having to downtune. dream theater stuff mostly.

-.-
i don't need a harp for that. :evil: :evil:
miker

bluesbreaker wrote:If you wanna more strings, get an orchestral harp.
...or a harp guitar:
miker

4, 5, 6, 7, 12... you decide:
bluesbreaker

miker wrote:
...or a harp guitar:
Man, that is what I would call "graceful"! :lol: So classical!
By the way, Michael Hedges used to play a steel-string version of that guitar-harp.
GYiakoumi

what do you guys reckon of Michael Bianco?
Desert_Runner

miker wrote:4, 5, 6, 7, 12... you decide:
5 necks? But I don't have 10 hands!
nato101010

There is 6 necks, Look closer at the bottom, you can see the tuning pegs
teokiatuan

^

SUSTAINNNNN