Scalloped vs. Normal

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Zeds.Ded

ya he means harder as in harder to play the correct pitch, as he has perfect pitch and we dont, hes going to find it more difficult to play every note perfectly to pitch
IbanezGRX
Banned

Beef Jerky anyone?
IbanezGRX
Banned

Beef Jerky anyone? :lol:
adanniels

Thank you for the information. I am still considering a scalloped yet I have never played on (cause I'm left handed and live in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of county people who have never heard of instrumental rock).

My next question is: If I did a half scallop where would be the best place. some do it past the 12th and some the 18th, one I seen was only done to the bottom three strings.
TRIDS

Zed is right I don't know who scalloped your board NOT!!!, but the only guitar that I have ever played that plays lighter and faster then my scallop board is my JEM.
Breeder

TRIDS wrote:the only guitar that I have ever played that plays lighter and faster then my scallop board is my JEM.
lets clear this up: guitar cannot play faster-only you can 8)
Zeds.Ded

yes but it can seriously help, as you do not have to push as hard on the string, meaning you have better motor skills in your fingers, meaning you can play faster ;)
al

lol its the same, its just a different feel
TRIDS

Let me clear up what I said the only board that is easier to play on meaning it responds to my touch better. And my vibrato is much wider and much more exspressive on my scalloped neck. I can pull of crazy three fret bends on my scalloped board much easier then my JEM.
Breeder

I can bend 5 frets from 7th fret on g string pretty easily on my soloist too and I don`t have scalloped neck...
I personally believe this is just placebo effect when it comes to speed and bending...for vibrato I will have to agree as you can do "linear vibrato" much wider.

Actually I believe scalloped neck gives you more control over your pitch once you master it and that might be the reason why Yngwie is using it as he has perfect pitch
NOT!!!

TRIDS wrote:Zed is right I don't know who scalloped your board NOT!!!, but the only guitar that I have ever played that plays lighter and faster then my scallop board is my JEM.
lol, sure :roll:! Well, the JEM is a non-scalloped guitar, and you say, that scalloped guitars play lighter and faster than non scalloped guitars, but your JEM plays faster than scalloped guitars (which is a non-scalloped guitar).

You don´t know what you´re talking about, all of you! A scalloped guitar will NOT make you faster or play lighter or all that shit! I don´t know who told you something like this, but here´s my advice:

First try, then write....
Zeds.Ded

id rather believe a guitar virtuoso like Yngwie ;)
al

i have a scalloped neck and i explained what its like! playing wise is the same just a different feel! ffs :mad:
boswell

Some info here www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm on scalloping

I keep meaning to try out a scalloped fretboard, I found the HUGE 6100 frets on my "Custom" GR4 give a scalloped feel making bending and vibrato much easy than on my old Strat which had "puny" frets.
boswell

Just noticed the scalloping project is a Steinberger Spirit www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal2.htm