I wan tot buy an acoustic guitar, any Ideas???

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
lydian7

I'm an electric guitar player at the moment, but it's high-time I got myself a decent acoustic. Trouble is, I don't know where to begin when looking for a good acoustic, and I'm only aware of the brand's quality by word-of-mouth (haven't tried many).

What Brands should I look for, what is my best option?

btw, I want a steel-string acoustic, and I want to be able to play melodic finger-style, ala` Kotaro Oshio.

...help? :?
track7

Hi again Lyd

I'm a staunch long time fan of Ovation (the high end sutff) and while i recommend everyone should try it out its either a love 'em or hate 'em thing.

However if I was gonna purchase another acoustic (in fact i really am thinking about this) I would get a taylor without a doubt. All the taylors I've played have just astounded me beyond belief. Amazing amazing tone and feel, adn cosmetically gorgeous.

Also of worthy mention if budget is an issue is Takemine. They do some very nice acoustic in the 500 - 1500 price range. Infact before I settled on my ovation it was a tos up between that and a really fine takemine.

Track
jmchambers5

Get a Taylor, they're great. Play several, there are big differences in sound between the different series, and not neccessarily better or worse sounding, like the prices would suggest. One of my favorite Taylors i've played was pretty low end (for a Taylor, that is).
Tone Capone

Dude that 3 in a row who think Taylor (including me) lol. Man you should get a Big baby Taylor. Its their lowest cost acoustic guitar and it is 15/16 size of normal acoustic. I've had one for 2 years and it is awesome. Great feel, great sound, great worksmanship, great guitar for $325 to $450 depending where you get it. I personally went through 10-12 Big Babys before finding an absolute beauty, but they are all of extreme quality for the price. Man the sound is full, rich, clean, you name it! Great starter acoustic. Not that its cheap, but the fact that it sounds and feels just as good as $2-3 thousand dollar guitars, For real!! Dont spend a fortune on a great guitar get a Taylor Big Baby. Man I should be a guitar salesman.LOL But for real though, Get one!
lydian7

Wow cheers guys, I guess Taylor is the winner huh? :D Well I'll try 'em all out I guess, especially the taylors!

I like the way Takemine's look, and I know japanese guitars are of excellent quality. It's gonna be a toss-up between those two.

Cheers for your help anyway guys! :wink:
anuj

DEFINITELY a taylor. try several.

i wish i had the scratch for one, but they're the rare guitar that i lust after more than i ever lusted after my jem.

~A
Blue_Powder

Forget names.....go play everything you can get your hands on and let your ears and fingers tell you what qualities you like. From there you can hone down the features and sounds that you want in an instrument and make a better decision from there.
LGM Guitars

Larrivee, no contest, I've yet to play a Taylor I liked, just personal taste, but I have never played a Larrivee I didn't like. Also, Guild, problem with Guild though, is they have awful setups from factory.

Of course you could always have a custom one built to spec :D
lydian7

Cheers, the Larrivee seem like a decent alternative to the Greven guitars (way too pricey for me!). They look gorgeous though! http://www.grevenguitars.com/ :cry:
Regression

buy piezo
or you can buy a acusitic similator pedal :)
GuitarStrings

Regression wrote:buy piezo
or you can buy a acusitic similator pedal :)

Ha ha you say that because your name is Regression... and that song is played with an electric guitar with piezo.
Ffats

Olson guitars are by far the best acoustic I've ever played. However, unless you're famous or have tons of money to spend on one guitar, then you probably won't be getting your hands on one.

Taylor is a solid bet :D
Jackhammer

Depends what type of acoustic you want

If you want a steel string , then I'm unaware of the good makes but if you want a flamenco/classical guitar then I recommend :

Paco de Lucia (Flamenco & Classic)
Raimundo (Classical & Flamenco)
Yamaha - If you're not going to spend a lot of money

There are some brands in between but I cant think of any at the moment

;)
Willin

Yuck! I personally would not reccomend a yamaha guitar. Admittedly, I haven't played any recent models, but I do know that the ones that i've played sounded dead to me.

The right acoustic guitar depends largely on your price range. Taylor makes some beautiful acoustics, but if you want a guitar with Indian Rosewood back and sides, with a sitka spruce top (this is my model of choice), then you are looking at a cost of well over 2,000 American dollars. I absolutely LOVE older Martin acoustic guitars. I know someone with a 1976 Martin D-35 and i've never played a nicer acoustic. It is fantastic. Supposedly Martin's build quality has declined a bit from those days, but I wouldn't believe that unless I tried some of their newer guitars.

I would personally try out Taylors and Martins. They are my guitars of preference. What back and sides you want will also largely define your tone and the responsiveness you get from the guitar. I prefer a Spruce top with Rosewood back and sides. You may notice that most high-end guitars are made with these type woods, and it's for a reason! These are typical "flatpicking" tonewoods and if you find the right guitar made out of these materials, you will be in heaven. The bass is booming and the trebles are very clear. You may see very expensive guitars made out of woods like Koa and Walnut, but they are largely priced that high due to the rarity of the wood and the difficulty in manufacturing guitars made out of those woods. Their price is not as largely dependant on the tone of the guitar. Also, if you look at the majority of famous artists, most of them have Spruce-topped guitars with Rosewood back and sides.

That guitarist you provided a link to seems to be playing a mahogany guitar. This is a popular finger-picking guitar wood. It's tone is not are sharp as spruce, and it has more mellow tendencies. I have a guitar with mahogany back and sides, and it is nice. You will find that Mahogany acoustics are cheaper as well.

One thing I can't stress enough for your acoustic is to put a 15 dollar pack of elixir strings on it! I am in love with these strings. They will make playing feel like butter! You'll notice a tremendous difference when you put these one, they help a lot!

Anyhow, as you may be able to tell, I love acoustics. If you have any quesitons, ask me, and I will try to help. Visit these sites in the meantime.

www.taylorguitars.com (Stunning acoustic guitars, especially the 800 and 900 series.

http://www.mguitar.com (The grandfather company of fantastic acoustic guitars. A lot of tradition in this company.
Roger

If you can find them there's a Czech brand called Furch. I was floored the first time I tried one out. They play really really well.
They're pretty much like Taylors but not as expensive, at least not in Europe. I was told that the Furch guy is friends with the Taylor guy, so that explains why they remind of each other I guess.
I would choose a Furch over a Taylor any day though.

www.furch.cz