Cleaning the guitar

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
guitar88

I just bought some fender guitar polish and I'm wondering how to clean the guitar...
first I apply the solution on the guitar, with some kleenex i clean it, then with a cloth i clean it more... that's what the guy at the guitar shot told me.
But when I clean the fretboard.... how do I do? I don't want to remove the strings because I'll have to readjust the bridge..... is there a way to block the bridge and clean or.... what should i do???
Do i risk to damage the paint or the wood?

Alex.
bancika

If you have maple neck then you can clean it with the same polish, but if it's not maple (maple fingerboards are lacquered), then I'd suggest using Dunlop lemom oil...
Tayhan

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_3.htm
there ya go!
I did it yesterday. My guitar is shining right now ^^
I don´t want to play it anymore cause Im´afraid it could get dirty :D
guitar88

Thank you very much!
GTR-MAN

bancika wrote:If you have maple neck then you can clean it with the same polish, but if it's not maple (maple fingerboards are lacquered), then I'd suggest using Dunlop lemom oil...
DON"T USE LEMON OIL!!! Lemon oil dries out too fast and is corrosive and will corrode your frets eventually. You can read this on the Mrtin guitar site .

USE " Bore Oil" instead. It doesn't dry out too fast and is non-corrosive and safe for your guitar.
satch_jr
Newcomer

what about GHS fast fret?
guitar88

GTR-MAN wrote:
bancika wrote:If you have maple neck then you can clean it with the same polish, but if it's not maple (maple fingerboards are lacquered), then I'd suggest using Dunlop lemom oil...
DON"T USE LEMON OIL!!! Lemon oil dries out too fast and is corrosive and will corrode your frets eventually. You can read this on the Mrtin guitar site .

USE " Bore Oil" instead. It doesn't dry out too fast and is non-corrosive and safe for your guitar.

Thank you very much for the Tip!
guitar88

satch_jr wrote:what about GHS fast fret?
GHS fast fret sucks!!! I mean.... it kind of makes your play easyer somehow... but the strings will get dirty...
I personally don't like it.
satch_jr
Newcomer

guitar88 wrote:
satch_jr wrote:what about GHS fast fret?
GHS fast fret sucks!!! I mean.... it kind of makes your play easyer somehow... but the strings will get dirty...
I personally don't like it.
personally, I'm using it sometimes, only when my strings come dirty, I clean them and afterwards I put fast fret. But the main con is that you have to clean up your fretboard too before applying F-F, because all dirt will remain on the fingerboard...

Someone else experienced the fast fret?
Big Bad Bill

I love Fast Fret. My strings last in excess of a year thanks to it. I never get that browny/black layer on my strings and they always feel smooth. It makes the strings slightly slippery which allows for smoooooth legato playing, it keeps the fingerboard in good condition and it smells nice too!

The problems people have with it are usually due to not following the instructions- i.e. using to much and not wiping the excess off or using it too infrequently. I'm sure the simply act of wiping a clean cloth over the strings and fretboard account for some of the positive effects attributed to FF but I like the slipperiness.

Also, does anyone else here wash their hands before playing? That's what I do and I'm sure that helps since the strings don't get covered in a layer of corrosive acidic sweat and grease!
satch_jr
Newcomer

Big Bad Bill wrote:Also, does anyone else here wash their hands before playing? That's what I do and I'm sure that helps since the strings don't get covered in a layer of corrosive acidic sweat and grease!
the same to me, I wash my hands before playing and also almoste every hour during playing sessions. It helps avoiding the sweat and corrosive things of the fingers/palm to go on the fretboard.
Balex the Shizzle

Lemon oil is fine, it does no particular damage to necks, it jsut doesnt penetrate as deep and so it dries out faster - you need more regular applications of it to keep it nice.

I agree that bore oil is the best though, it penetrates really well and lasts a long time.