Building a custom guitar in a Paul style body?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
wickedbaron
Newcomer

There is so many knowledgeable people here, and curious to know how they would go about having a custom Paul style axe made. What woods would you choose for the the neck, fretboard, and body (include exotic woods too if you would choose them). What type of pickups would you use to complement the axe? Would you have a laminated top? Would you use a one piece body? Would you have a bolt on neck, or not? What type of finish? What type of bridge would you use? What type of inlays would you have on the fretboard? What type of tuners would you use? Neck radius? Switches, and pots? The reasons for your selections?
bancika

If I'd want to make Paul-type guitar I'd stick to original design as much as possible, so:
1) Body mahagony with flame maple laminated top
2) neck mahagony
3) fingerboard, rosewood or ebony with 12" radius and 24" 3/4 scale length (available at stewmac.com)
4) Pickups DiMarzio PAF or PAF Classic
5) Bridge, non-tremolo. I don't like standard Paul's bridge+tailpiece, so I'd go with some bridge that doesn't require tailpiece (something like http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... ridge.html)
6) set-neck
Check this link out, it's Gibson factory tour, you could learn something
http://www.gibsonami.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=88
Regards
wickedbaron
Newcomer

Thanks for some of your good ideas, and the posting of some links, Bancika. :D

I might go with a flamed maple top, they look so sweet. I've mostly played on ebony fretboards, and think I will always play on ebony. There is something about ebony that tickles my fancy.
Igor

basicaly what bancika said..

though, if I was ordering it (and i will in a couple of years time.. first is my rhoads.. due christmas, then it's a san dimas replica)

i would get it in long scale 25.5"
get a tomy cut on the back
and most important of all, get the neck heel contoured so it feels like a neck through.
string through TOM bridge
get some good pickups too.. like bareknuckle emeralds
move the selector switch to where the pots are.. similar to an SG .. and mark the positions Höly and Ünhöly

these are the changes i would make
bancika

Well I wasn't sure how much he want's to stick to original. If you want LesPaul feel you should buy 24 3/4" scale (I bought 25.5" ebony fingerboard for my hand built guitar I'm making at the moment), also for other improvements. Contoured heel is neat (I'm making All-access on mine), but un-traditional. All matter of taste :)
Cheers
Btw, here's the look of my project guitar. It's taken few days ago, since that I began making neck back shape. It's massively improved Fender Showmaster - Schaller floyd rose, compound neck radius, All-access neck joint, black perloid pickguard and similar stuff :)
Igor

niiice looking

i was saying if I would be making one. i find the heel on LP's abhoring and unprofessional. ok, they were ok in the 50's, but this is 2005 .. improve the design already GEEZ!
dont need to do it on all of em, just like create a LP with a contoured heel.. how hard would it be?
Lo Lo

Yeah man!!!

Mohogany body and neck.
24 3/4 scale 22 fret rosewood w/block inlays.(25.5 if your going 24 frets)
Flamed maple top.(The maple will brighten the mohogany a bit)
Planet Wave locking tuners with built in string cutters.
PRS Santana pickups or Dimarzio Norton in bridge, AirNorton in neck.
Tone Bros. locking tone-a-matic style bridge and tail piece.
Schaller strap locks.

Check out this link and peep out what I did with my custom LP's

http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13841

If you go to the Gibson Custom site, you will see that the Neal Schon model has a integrated, curved neck joint for much better upper fret action.
http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/produ ... Schon.html