Advice needed on RG purchase

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
keithb

Time to buy a new guitar. I'm looking at theIbanez RG-370. It seems to be everything I want: HSH, nice color, won't break the bank, and I like the feel of the RGs I've played in stores.

However, I've never played a 370. Some of the RGs I played had a strat-style bridge that didn't allow you to bend the strings up in pitch w/ the whammy bar. Anyone know if the 370 has this bridge, or a Floyd Rose-style one? Any other advice? Thanks!
Given To Fly

The RG 370 has a Floyd Rose style bridge. So you will be able to raise and lower pitch. However the bridge on this guitar is a Lo Trs which can be a bad thing. They have a reputation of not being the greatest bridges that exist. If you feel comfortable doing this I would try to get a RG 570 or 550 used because it should cost about the same and you'll get a killer bridge and a better playing guitar.
Tone Capone

If you're getting an Rg go for a 550, 570 , 1550 or 1570.
dymund
Newcomer

I can heartily recomend the RG550. The neck is fantastic, the bridge works a dream and i personally really like the pickups in it, although ill probably get shot for that comment!
Matwey

keithb wrote:However, I've never played a 370. Some of the RGs I played had a strat-style bridge that didn't allow you to bend the strings up in pitch w/ the whammy bar. Anyone know if the 370 has this bridge, or a Floyd Rose-style one? Any other advice? Thanks!
I had a chance to try RG370. Actually by some reason the price was lower than for RG270, while 270 had a single locking scheme, i.e. the strings are locked only at the headstock joint on the neck. RG370 had a better neck to my taste(despite that for a first time i din't like the plastic stripe bounds over the neck of that particular one). The tremolo bar on 370 feels way more better than on 270 one. It has an Edge Pro II bridge, not Lo Trs ;)

The minus of 270/370 models is that they're actually made in Korea, while other RG models are made in Japan, as far as i know ;) But i'd say the overall product quality is quite the same high, judging from what i tried. Again, i would put that RG370 over RG570, but that's just my humble opinion :)
atifman

sounds good try it out.
i don't know what the Edge Pro II is like. It's on the lower end models, but hear it's actually very good (i hear they're much better than the old Lo-Trs's they put on before)

i think it's ibanez's 2003 version of the RG470 with a better tremolo

Go for it! the price is right.
once you get the guitar, all you gotta do swap out the stock pickups (which is really why the guitar has the low price, they skimped out on the pickups, imo) and you got a nice axe.
keithb

Yeah, I figured the pups would have to go. Probably go for some DiMarzios eventually. Now, to find a tube combo amp to go w/ the new guitar.... :D
Tone Capone

Go ahead and spend an extra $160 bucks and get a Japanese made Rg. Like the 1550, or 1570 if you prefer rosewood fretboard. I paid $460 for my rg 1550.
Matwey

keithb wrote:Yeah, I figured the pups would have to go. Probably go for some DiMarzios eventually. Now, to find a tube combo amp to go w/ the new guitar.... :D
Yep, DiMarzio's are great! 8)

..i think atifman could be right on that one about RG370/470 are really close. Except that RG470 seems to be a Japanese made model(not sure) and it has that Lo TRS bridge plus different pickups. But as far as you're going to replace the pickups -- that doesn't really matter. You'd better save those extra $160 for a really good pickups! :)

That model i meant was a RG370DX with shark tooth inlay and plastic neck bounds. The cost is around $333, without shipping(to check,for example, at www.music123.com)
eyebnez

If at all possible go with the RG550 and /or up. Dude you cant go wrong :)

you posted the link to the 370 yourself, from the Ibanez site, so you should have a browse of the Ibanez pages - that'll tell you what guitars have the spec you're after.

Try and get as good as possible, so 550 and up is a good suggestion. I was going to get a 550 the other day, but for a bit less money, I got an RGT42 - it's only got two humbuckers, no single, but they can be split so you can use single coils from them anyway. It's got a decent Flloyd bridge on it, and it's a thru-neck construction so it's much stronger. I recommend it outright against any other RG of the same/similar price.
eyebnez

Yea... I like the RGT42. Their really an excellent guitar for the price. The only thing I did'nt like about it was the painted headstock. But,mind you, this was on the one I played so I dont know if they done that with all of them or not. This one was a God aweful red with red headstock with white trim. Wait. It sounds like I'm downing them now, Sorry I'm not :oops: , Color has nothing to do with it anyway. :D
GuitarStrings

Given To Fly wrote:The RG 370 has a Floyd Rose style bridge. So you will be able to raise and lower pitch. However the bridge on this guitar is a Lo Trs which can be a bad thing. They have a reputation of not being the greatest bridges that exist. If you feel comfortable doing this I would try to get a RG 570 or 550 used because it should cost about the same and you'll get a killer bridge and a better playing guitar.
NO, RG 370 NOW HAS EDGE PRO II BRIDGE.
kenny_u

you won't go wrong getting the 2003 models.
Ffats

I played an RG (don't know which model) in a local guitar shop... I really liked the neck and its feel (I've got a Parker and love smaller thinner necks), however I noticed considerable fret 'dents' and knicks, obviously a case by case issue, however it did just come in to the shop. The fingerboard was also 'dry' and wasn't that fast - maybe I just hate rosewood, heh.

Personally, I'd avoid them and save up for something that you won't get rid of in a few years.