Steves Special Or Evolution

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
cain777

Hey guys,
im still kinda new to the forum so bear with me. Well anyways I have an rg and I was wondering which pickup would be better to put in the bridge position of my guitar. A Steve Special (used by John Petrucci) or an Evolution. While I think the Evo would be a hotter pickup i was wondering if it would be well balanced with the air norton pickup that i already have in the neck position. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. anyone that has any of these two pickups, please give me some comments or pm me if you would like to. thanks for your guys time
ppvai

im going with the evo :wink:
changer

Hi,

Yea I've got an RG570 with an evo at the bridge and a seymour duncan 59 at the neck and a quarter pounder in the mid.

Sounds really good, and the balance is nice between bridge & neck.
the evo is a mean soundin pickup.

Although, i've got to say it sounds a bit darker on the RG compared to a jem7v.
jemgirl

ppvai wrote:im going with the evo :wink:
so true ppvai :wink:
j.arledge

cain777 wrote:Hey guys,
im still kinda new to the forum so bear with me. Well anyways I have an rg and I was wondering which pickup would be better to put in the bridge position of my guitar. A Steve Special (used by John Petrucci) or an Evolution. While I think the Evo would be a hotter pickup i was wondering if it would be well balanced with the air norton pickup that i already have in the neck position. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. anyone that has any of these two pickups, please give me some comments or pm me if you would like to. thanks for your guys time
they are different, if you have a mid heavey amp or want to clean up a muddy amp the steve's special is probably a bit more what you need, it also has a bit more bass responce . Desinged to also be clear and clean.

The evo has a tight bass responce and is focused more on the mid and highs, it was desinged to be clear and cut through.

It depends on what you are looking for out of a pickup , and the Special does have quite a bit of output 390mv at 17.98 dc resistance
cain777

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all your guys's input. thanks again.