RG Prestige with smaller frets than jumbo?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Skyscraper

Hi,
I've been drooling over the RG 2620 CBL recently but after getting the chance to play one, I started out to play Tears In The Rain and found the five fret stretch to be an absolute nightmare, which it normally isn't on the guitars I play and wasn't when I attempted the same song on a JEM.

Other than fret size, it'd be ideal, but I've looked and found all RG Prestige guitars to have jumbo frets. Are there any, J-Custom even, that don't, but are RG Prestige models with the genuine Edge Pro trem? It's a real shame as I love the lighter tonewoods not making you feel like you've got an anchor on your back, but if you don't feel comfortable playing them, that rather defeats the point of it.

Anything I should look for?
saxaxe

Jumbo frets mean that the fretwire itself is wider. What you're looking for is a smaller scale.
jemgirl

the rg 1570 maybe?
al

jumbo for the 1570, i tihnk all the rg's have them cept some j custom ones, but the js and jems have 6105 frets but yeah it snot exactly the spacing thats effected as much its the fretwire itself
Skyscraper

My mistake, sorry for the misunderstanding there, it was the space of the frets I meant rather than fret wire size.

Thing is, I have a guitar that's 25.5" scale, 22 frets, but the fret spacing feels fine. I played that Ibanez RG Prestige, with a 25.5" scale and this time 24 frets, but it felt like the frets were noticeably bigger, enough to make it less comfortable to play some stuff that I'd normally just play. This is very odd. Sounds like it might just be a case of trying out different RG Prestige models because if jumbo refers to the fret wiring and 25.5" is the scale they must all be the same and so it must just be a question of getting comfortable with one (since they have the same scale as the JEM which I could play fine).

Thanks for the information folks.
al

the funny thing is, i find the frets bigger on my rg compared to my lp or strat, but hey, isnt that just the way it goes, i find legato alot easier on my strat, Jumbo frets jus aint for me, but the rg neck is so sexy...
ScreamJem7

If the scale length is the same, the frets are positioned in the exact same place, from one brand guitar to the next.
Skyscraper

ScreamJem7 wrote:If the scale length is the same, the frets are positioned in the exact same place, from one brand guitar to the next.
I suppose...

Maybe I just had a cack-handed day when I checked out the RG Prestige 2620. I hadn't really warmed up properly before trying some of the tricky stretching stuff I try on guitars if I'm interested in them. Perhaps I should go back and try it again (not that I'd ever go into a music shop and keep trying out their coolest guitars habitually, you understand! :P).

What you all say makes sense, so it must just be me. One more question though...

Why do some guitars have very large frets? As a beginner, you'd be better off having to stretch less, while at a more advanced level, you don't need so much margin for error to be able to get inside the right fret. Is it to be able to tune properly with less string tension, or tolerate lower tunings perhaps, which provides a niche for bigger fret spacings, or is it just a personal preference thing? I'm just curious.

Thanks very much anyway for the replies and putting my mind at rest a bit over something which had confused me somewhat.