I need an opinion

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
cain777

hey guys,
I was just wondering about which pickups I should install on my guitar. I have and rg 270 (korean model) and I already have a dimarzio air norton in the neck position, but now i cant decide whether to place a steve's special (jonh petrucci used them on his recording from images and words, all the way until Awake), or should install an evolution. I like the fact that the steves special can pack a punch but on can still hear every note. But I love the fact that the evolution is hot and legato sounds great and can cut through any situation. Any suggestions would really help out a lot. thanks
Wempukkah

Well, try them both and decïde which you like better. I would go for an evo, since then I know I am getting a fabulous pickup. :)
shredder

the answer is evos
ultrazone_seeker

shredder wrote:the answer is evos
...as will always be the answer on the Vai forum, it seems.

i can't comment about the SS myself as i haven't used one. have you looked on the DiMarzio site for specs and such? you sound like you have, but if not, do so. they've got sound samples for a lot of the pickups too.

as for the Evo, my only advice is to get it if it happens to be what you're after, not just because it's Steve's pickup (oh, and isn't there two different Evo Bridges now? decisions, decisions). i've got one myself and i'm happy with it, but i'd have a careful look at both if you're still up in the air about it.
Rahab

You might also check out the tone-zone. It is equally awesome.