Deeper meanings within Van Halen song

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
deep field

Is Van Halen's "finish what ya started" a subtle jab directed at David Lee Roth and to a lesser extent Steve?

Think about it.

Watch the video too.

What do you think?
Last edited by deep field on Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rembrandt Q. Einstein

no
Logic

I really thought that song was about a flirtatious women..
hmmmmm..
Rembrandt Q. Einstein

Yeah, it's totally about blue balls.
Ryan Layton
Banned

finish what ya started is not about dlr, but look at one of the VH album titles with sammy hagar after Eat Em And Smile came out.

OU812

oh, you ate one too?

that was a jab at dave.
Logic

Ryan Layton wrote:finish what ya started is not about dlr, but look at one of the VH album titles with sammy hagar after Eat Em And Smile came out.

OU812

oh, you ate one too?

that was a jab at dave.
Elaborate, please.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I think some fans like to imagine all sorts of rivalries, secret messages etc which in actual fact just don't exist. :)

Mikey ;)
vai.com
Ryan Layton
Banned

Ryan Layton wrote:
finish what ya started is not about dlr, but look at one of the VH album titles with sammy hagar after Eat Em And Smile came out.

OU812

oh, you ate one too?

that was a jab at dave.

Elaborate, please.
OU812. just say it out loud to yourself. it sounds like Oh, you ate one too?

alot of people belive that this is a response to david lee roths album Eat Em And Smile

just imagine a conversation...

Dave: Yeah, I EAT EM AND SMILE

Sammy: Oh, You Ate One Too (OU812)?

that was van halens way of saying that they were done with dave.
Rembrandt Q. Einstein

That makes no sense.
deep field

Let's examine a few things shall we?

In 1988, David Lee Roth's career had started to crest and it was becoming increasingly obvious that he lacked the ability to sustain the momentum he had initially created with the Crazy from the Heat and the Eat em' and Smile records. Now if I'm not mistaken, there was some very real bitterness between Eddie and Dave, so I must disagree with Mikey's assertion that there was not any rivalry between Van Halen and Roth. There is plenty of media evidence to the contrary, and I think that the rivarly manifested itself on levels beyond just interviews. Indeed there was a mutual dislike between Van Halen and Roth, so it is very conceivable that OU812 (oh you ate one too?) was indeed poking fun at the Eat Em and Smile title.

Now, back to "finish what ya started." Watch the video very carefully (on Launch btw if you wish to examine for yourself). Let's look at some of the lyrics. The parenthetical phrases are my suggestive interpretations.

Oh, if you wanna see other guys (like Steve)
Baby, I could let it slide (we know your ego needs its own personal band, and we understand that)
I got the tools, to satisfy (the success of this band doesn't depend on you dave)
Just walk away (quit talking trash dave)
Come on baby, finish what ya started (self explanitory)
I'm incomplete (ok this band was better when you were in it dave)
That ain't no way to treat the broken-hearted (self explanitory)
I need some sympathy! (sammy and eddie to the fans)

I like to look at the long run (you look at the short term only dave)
I like to take each step, one by one (your acrobatic stage antics were annoying sometimes)
Right on time, you will arrive (we'll get back together again someday)
I'm keepin' the dream alive (haggar doing his best to preserve the integrity of Van Halen while dave is away)
It's alive
And it's kickin'
(this new Van Halen is kicking ass and selling millions of records without you dave)
Ow! Come on and finish me!
(where's your dagger dave?)

I hope by now you see the humor and sillyness in my interpretations of the lyrics, but I also hope that perhaps some things were elucidated for you as well. Ok, a coupla more things. In the chorus, it sounds like there's some buried backing track that is saying "david" instead of "baby", i.e. "c'mon david finish what ya started." Also, at the 2:46 mark in the video, Sammy taps his semi-acoustic guitar in a peculiar manner, perhaps a mocking manner.

That's all for now.
Henrique Henriques

Ok, maybe the title of the album was directed to Dave, I'll give you that. But the song has nothing to do with that rivalry.
Logic

Heavy.. But I don't know what to think.
like a Bible interpetation.. :)
The Euphor
Newcomer

The Van Halen Encyclopedia - C. J. Chilvers wrote:Finish What Ya Started-(OU812 [4:20]; Live: Right Here, Right Now [5:50]) Alternative titles for this track included "Baby, Come On" and Come On, Baby."

This is one of only two Van Halen tracks featuring Sammy Hagar on guitar (he used a Gibson acoustic).

This is the only Van Halen song on record that Ed recorded without using a pick; the entire track, including the guitar solo, was fingerpicked. The solo also featured a technique never heard previously from Edward; chickin' pickin' (a la bluegrass and country music staple).

Valerie Bertinellt used this as the theme song to her 1990 sitcom Sydney.

Two versions of this video were released, both in black and white. The less common version of the two is slightly letterboxed and features more shots of the women seen in the other version. The other version appears on Video Hits Volume 1.

This is the only known Van Halen video featuring Sammy Hagar playing a guitar. Edward is featured in a cowboy hat and boots as he fingerpicks through the guitar solo on a red and white Teisco Del Ray.

The video was directed by Andy Morahan, who at the time was well known for his work with a George Michael video. It was prodiced by Luc Roeg and Steve Brandman.
bcgvh

Ok, OU812 came from the phrase, "Oh, you ate one too". The band has stated this after the release of the album in an interview somewhere, and it could possibly be a jab at "Eat 'Em And Smile", it's been debated, but I think the title is as far as it goes. Finish What Ya' Started doesn't have anything to do with Dave and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with Steve. I think Eddie and Steve like each other and I read an interview with EVH once where he said he was impressed with Steve's playing, so.....I think you guys are looking way too into it.
Massacre

I can’t believe everyone just said all that :roll: . Anyhow has anyone seen Live RHRN? Sammy says “Here’s a song about un-full filled sex, and anyone with a set of blue balls knows what I’m talkin about and it aint no fun” There you have it blue balls.