Deeper meanings within Van Halen song

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
dragn
Newcomer

well its just a track after all and who rewally cares solong as you dig the music dude. :twisted:
Ramma

Sounds all dumb, far fetched, and blown way out of proportion.. It has nothing to do with DLR.. and it DEFINETLY has nothing to do with Vai.. the hell would they want to start up heat with Vai for?
Ramma

deep field wrote:Wanna play hard ball do ya? Heh heh heh.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but was there or was there not a backlash against players like Steve in the late 80's and early 90's?

Oh yes indeed there was...

...be it Guns N' Roses or Nirvana or whatever that finally destroyed the reign of 80's guitar excesses, the fact is the so-called shredders and 'baroque' 80's players suffered a rapid decline in guitar-culture-status in the late 80's. The media of the time bears this out, in addition to the various music industry observers. Don't forget record sales.
SO... who bore the brunt of this backlash against 80's shred guitar? Ceratinly more than a few crosshairs were aimed squarely at Steve (and Yngwie). But.... but... why? Lemme tell you joining Whitesnake didn't help things, but what I'm getting at is...

Steve tried to steal Eddie's thunder.

Or at least that's how it was perceived by more than a few people. And guess what? Eddie knew it. Members of the media knew it. Guitar fans knew it. And you're out of your gourd if you think there wasn't any "out-do factor" going on with Steve and DLR. Make no mistake, by aligning himself with DLR, Steve set things in motion which came back to punish him later. Bad karma. It's almost as if Steve's joining DLR possessed a twilight zone-esque symbolic link to his crossroads duel: Steve was the devil's guitarist, but Eddie Van Halen was Ralph Macchio. Don't f__ with the karate kid! HAHAHA. Oh yes, oh yes, because you see, DLR came to symbolize everything that was wrong with the 80's rock music scene, and as such his band deservedly petered out after 1.5 albums. And so... in 1988, when "oh you ate one too?" came out, Eddie designed a song, USING AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR (bucking the 80's ulttra-gain-super-compressed-distorted-sound-ideal-for-tapping trend that *cough* *cough* DLR and Steve *cough* came to epitomize) and USED FINGERPICKING to craft a subtley beautifuly ironic revenge-song aimed at DLR and his sycophant 'facilitators' for being such cocky little bastards. And he named his acoustic, non-tapping song "finish what ya started." Because, in reality, that's pretty simple to understand, isn't it?

Finish what ya started.

Think about it.
Have you lost your mind?
Sandyman

Haha, deep field, you certainly created quite a discussion here. Why on earth would Sammy call Dave his baby?! ("Come on, baby, please?") Your theory is funny, but pure bs of course.

Besides, when VH played this song live, Sammy used to say "Come on, baby, finish what ya started, I need some pussy!!!"

OU812, on the other hand, is generally held as a reply to "Eat 'em and Smile". A bit childish, in my opinion.
Massacre

I thought this thread was laid to rest... lol I guess not. :)
Sandyman

Hey Massacre, I was just browsing through some older topics and I just HAD to comment on this one :wink:
Actually, I don't give a rat's ass what the song is about, as long as it sounds good.
Massacre

Hell yeah man, it's a cool song too.
deep field

[SLOW EVIL QUIET SNICKERING]

:twisted:

Certainly some of the responses to this thread illustrate that I have, perhaps, touched a nerve; or, zapped it, rather, with some individuals. And so I wonder, what unpleasant realities have I partially illuminated in all of your inner awarenesses that have roused such disgruntlement and unbridled hostility? Are there some statements of mine which contain a certain truth component, at least on some extra sensory perceptive level of consciousness? :idea: heh heh heh

Ok ok ok, maybe Eddie was just showin people his fingerpickin chops. :twisted:
wickedbaron
Newcomer

I saw an interview with Sammy Hagar years ago, and he said the song was about being left with blue balls.
%thd

I think Vai should've kepted the contraversy going.

Giant Balls of Gold, should be Giant Balls of Blue.

Whatcha think,
%thd
Massacre

I think it’s obvious that Deep field has his mind set on what the song is about, and no one…. I mean no one! Not even Sammy Hagar. Is gonna make him think other wise. Un-real :) :?
sonny sixshooter

deep field wrote:Certainly some of the responses to this thread illustrate that I have, perhaps, touched a nerve; or, zapped it, rather, with some individuals. And so I wonder, what unpleasant realities have I partially illuminated in all of your inner awarenesses that have roused such disgruntlement and unbridled hostility? Are there some statements of mine which contain a certain truth component, at least on some extra sensory perceptive level of consciousness? :idea: heh heh heh
Well, if I called someone's mother a big fat whore (sorry about my language), this someone would probably get mad or angry or sad or something. But the fact that they would become angry wouldn't make it true!
So no, you are not an overlooked genius who has suddenly discovered a conspiracy theory within the eighties' music industry. Feel free to make interpret the text your own way, but if you want people to listen to your arguments, you have to do the same.
cjcdrums
Newcomer

Deep Field, I think you're right. What you say makes perfect sence. And unlike every one of the people who instead of refuting you with facts and logic, called you a moron because they didn't understand your post, I find your point insightful. Call it a conspiracy theory if you want, people, but there are valid points to what he says, if you give them a chance.
deep field

Ok, lemme adress this issue of the song being about blue balls. I'll accept that interpretation. But here's food for thought: Van Halen without David Lee Roth is like having blue balls... for the fans, anyway. Think about it: Van Halen without DLR is like being perpetually sexually aroused, but without the orgasm. That's what it's like for us old school Van Halen fans; we've had a severe case of musical blue balls for the last 20 years. Eddie recognizes this case of blue balls, as reflected in the song, but he is also defiant against David Lee Roth.

And furthermore, I feel that the song "poundcake" has some very profound meanings as well. There is significant information to be extrapolated from Eddie using a drill to play the intro part. And the lyrics bespeak of the "less is more" philosophy that can be deceptively powerful in the realm of rock n' roll music. But seriously, it was Eddie's way of winking his eye at all the shredder clones who mistakenly thought that their speed tactics on the fretboard would somehow dethrone the MASTER. LOL! kidding, well, not really... :twisted: