Yngwie bashers

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
the guitarist

most YJM bashers are actually intimidated by him and that's why they

bash.they can't just accept it.I 'm sorry but few can cope with YJM thing

and that's the reason when they get annoyed by their friends asking

them"can you play a YJM song?"

you may not like his style but his music is tested by time and still have

huge a place in electric guitar .(and also amazes non electric guitar

instrument players-esp classical players who wants to bash blues rock

guitar players and pentatonic suckers until they hear YJM and and let their

jaws drop.
Last edited by the guitarist on Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShawShred

...Thats great, what would you like me to say? :P
Matthew

My thoughts on Yngwie bashing:

People are jeaulous, and to cover it up, they say he sucks and that they wouldn't want to play like him anyway. I can tell instantly when I show somone a virtuoso and they right away saw "he's cocky" or "sure he has technique, but no feel or melody". Just because they're not that good. I suck compared to Yngwie, but I don't hate him. He inspires me and I strive to be as good as him and better.
Opus131

I like him as guitar player, but not as a composer.

This is true for many virtuosi on any instrument, it's just the way of things, you simply cannot be good at everything, not most of the times anyway.

Indeed, most of my most prized composers are decent instrumentalist at best.

True, every now and then some legendary figures emerges who is both a thundering virtuoso as well as staggering composer, but there can only be so many Beethovens around...
Skyscraper

I too am a fan of Yngwie and think that a lot of the criticisms levelled at him are unwarranted. I can see why people might not find his music interesting or consider it 'samey' if that's how they feel about it, but I can't understand people trying to berate his abilities as a guitarist. I would agree that much of the bashing is borne of jealousy or perhaps just defensiveness. I'm sure all of us are capable of digging our heels in from time to time when something we really don't like is given high praise, and in the case of Yngwie I think that people overcriticise on occasion when really all it is is that they personally don't like his music. People are entitled to like (or dislike) whatever music they choose, but taking pot shots at Yngwie's ability is ridiculous when he is clearly an ecellent guitarist.

It's a touchy subject though, with guitarists, as some are hyped to mythical proportions without doing much of note while others who can show great talent are often overlooked, while it is down to personal opinion in many cases when arguing in favour of or against a guitarist. You have the case of Yngwie, where it seems to be fashionable to knock him despite his talent, while on the other hand it seems as though you're thought of as being weird if you don't consider Clapton to be one of the greatest guitarists ever. Personally Clapton has never especially impressed me and I consider him to be vastly overrated, but you can't say that about him, whereas it's OK to have a go at Yngwie.

What I'm saying is, don't pay attention to people bashing any guitarist who you like (including myself!). Like someone because you like them and don't be tempted to go with 'credible' opinion. When you have awful publications like Kerrang! listing Dave Grohl as the number one guitarist in metal, that's when you should realise that the music press is only useful for interviews and finding out what is about to be released and who is touring, and that as far as their opinions go, they really shouldn't be taken very seriously. The same can be said for people bashing Yngwie, or whoever is being discussed. Hear people out and listen to what they have to say, but that doesn't mean you have to agree with it or be influenced by it.

Twenty years ago people thought he was great, now many people don't. Personally, however, I like Yngwie regardless of whether he is considered to be fashionable or not.
autumnlord

Excellent post Skyscraper!!!!!

My opinion: YJM is awesome, plain and simple!
Melodic Dreamer

I hate Yngwie Bashing. To me many guitarist has found it to be the "cool" thing to bash Malmsteen and Hammett. These two guitarist are not near my favorite, but I don't understand why everyone wants to bash them.

Im not a Malmsteen basher and I do not praise him. There are things I like and some I dislike, but that doesn't matter though because I respect him for he plays what he wants to play.

I think Yngwie is a great guitarist who plays with so little effort on stage that it blows my mind. Yes, over the recent years there have been many neo classical players come on to the scene and copy him. Some have past him in the techniqe area, but he still is a great guitarist. I love his ability and his stage precence. I do laugh watching him sometimes, but I enjoy watching him. He is an entertainer and he is a good one.

The only think I wish for Yngwie is the best. I think there are some things that hurt him though. Like him saying that he doesn't listen to music anymore. Which explains why he writes the same type of stuff constanly. It sometimes is like stagnated water. If there isn't any movement then it just dies. To me his creative process has kinda died. This is just my opinion. He has became to comfortable. A lot of times he doesn't even play his songs he just solo's over them. These are the things that bother me as a fan. Im not putting him down, but sometimes it makes me lose interest in him. I wish him the best and have the upmost respect for him.
Lake of desire

[Started writing but realized that there's no point in aggravate you guys any more, so I'll keep my opinions to myself]
Ryan Layton
Banned

im not a yngwie basher but i don't like him. i hate it when people bash other players and can't really back it up. i agree that people usually say someone else sucks to make themselves feel better. i think yngwie has great speed and some pretty cool, catchy lines but i have dislikes which we dont' need to mention. i dont think anyone should bash anyone else because we can always learn somethin from someone else.
Junebughunter

Well it looks like I am going to be the one to break the ice here.

I can't stand yngwie's stuff. I suck at guitar compared to him. I think he has melody, and great technique, but for the most part he lacks dynamics. Unlike most of the people bashing the yngwie bashers. I have seen yngwie in concert. Bought two of his cd's (yes paid for them).

I still think he is egotistical.

I have never said he sucks, or I am better or I don't want to play like him. I sure as hell would be as good as him and play like him if I could.

Bottom line, I simply dislike him.

So bash me, flame me, whatever. I am not trying to cover anything up. Not only that but I have 2 good friends that saw the concert with me, one is a drummer, and one couldn't hit a note on any instrument if there life depended on it. Neither of which liked him at all.

One note though, I liked Yngwie on th G3 dvd better than I thought. At least on his own part. He didn't jive very well with Joe and Steve during the jams. and it was annoying when solos would go from Pentatonic majory into harmonic minor and back. I know that is his thing but he should have at least put a little more effort into making his not selection sound better with the song and the other two guitarists he was supposed to jam with
slapgup

I often wonder if most "bashers" realize that most of the time their bashing only makes them look bad, not the person they're bashing. Then again I think alot of them don't have a clue otherwise they WOULD realize that and keep their bashing to themselves. Add Michael Angelo to the list as another one who gets alot of bashing who while certainly not everyone's cup of tea is quite obviously a very gifted guitarist. Thanks people for reiterating some of what I said in my "Yngwie is Cool" post a while back.
Texter

Whenever I see Yngwie I start laughing my @ss off...but I do enjoy his playing every once in a while...It's fun to make fun of the guy who invented the Fokking Fury :lol: People who are offended by him should relax and take a deep breath. Ooh fat guy strapped in serious leather kicking up his right leg again :shock:
The Prez

Junebughunter wrote:Well it looks like I am going to be the one to break the ice here.

I can't stand yngwie's stuff. I suck at guitar compared to him. I think he has melody, and great technique, but for the most part he lacks dynamics. Unlike most of the people bashing the yngwie bashers. I have seen yngwie in concert. Bought two of his cd's (yes paid for them).

I still think he is egotistical.

I have never said he sucks, or I am better or I don't want to play like him. I sure as hell would be as good as him and play like him if I could.

Bottom line, I simply dislike him.

So bash me, flame me, whatever. I am not trying to cover anything up. Not only that but I have 2 good friends that saw the concert with me, one is a drummer, and one couldn't hit a note on any instrument if there life depended on it. Neither of which liked him at all.

One note though, I liked Yngwie on th G3 dvd better than I thought. At least on his own part. He didn't jive very well with Joe and Steve during the jams. and it was annoying when solos would go from Pentatonic majory into harmonic minor and back. I know that is his thing but he should have at least put a little more effort into making his not selection sound better with the song and the other two guitarists he was supposed to jam with

If it wasn't for his ego people would probably respect him more. At times he does sound the same on most of his albums which might be a factor.
Matthew

Yngwie can be an asshole (read his FAQ at http://yngwie.org ) but the man is talented. I don't care if a guitarist is a total Yngwie rip-off, because playing guitar that good is not easy and it takes dedication and ability. But of couse originality is always a plus.
Junebughunter

Matthew wrote:Yngwie can be an asshole (read his FAQ at http://yngwie.org ) but the man is talented. I don't care if a guitarist is a total Yngwie rip-off, because playing guitar that good is not easy and it takes dedication and ability. But of couse originality is always a plus.
I am not sure if it was here but I quoted a bunch of things from his faq once that made him sound like an a-hole once. I think it was a two page faq from a mag and about half a page of it was very egotistical statements