GUITARISTS THAT ANNOY ME

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Rochus

I get annoyed sometimes by a friend of mine since I really respect him since he was the one who brought me to the guitar (him and SRV, Hendrix, Satch and Vai :P). And he can't seem to respect what I'm doing since I'm playing half the time he's playing and atm he's just slightly better than me. Even though I'm not really good yet at playing the guitar and find joy in playing the melody lines from Satch and Vai songs he keeps on ranting how I'm doing wrong in my excersises by playing Satch and Vai at my level and trying to learn scales and musical theory. But when we jam, he might be faster and stuff but he only knows the minor pentatonic box shape, while I can do that and some modes all across the neck and he just goes like: "You really don't know what you're doing aren't you?" While he is using the same runs over and over and I try to be creative.

Every time he shows me a song he's learned I think thats cool because it sounds good and he's doing ok and I complement him. But when i played the satch boogie intro for him he was like: "That doesn't even sound like the song, you're missing tons of notes and you can't even play the entire song so that sucks." Even though I played it perfectly. :evil:
Viva La Revolucion

annoying guitarists: post-grunge, punk-pop and nu-metal: always whining that they see themselfves as songwriters, not guitar players, while they are dissing players who actually can play more than power chords and write something beyond: `I'm sooooooooo mad at my parents' or something about their kindergarten sexual frustrations. It's the 21st century hair metal.
Viva La Revolucion

Rochus wrote:I get annoyed sometimes by a friend of mine since I really respect him since he was the one who brought me to the guitar (him and SRV, Hendrix, Satch and Vai :P). And he can't seem to respect what I'm doing since I'm playing half the time he's playing and atm he's just slightly better than me. Even though I'm not really good yet at playing the guitar and find joy in playing the melody lines from Satch and Vai songs he keeps on ranting how I'm doing wrong in my excersises by playing Satch and Vai at my level and trying to learn scales and musical theory. But when we jam, he might be faster and stuff but he only knows the minor pentatonic box shape, while I can do that and some modes all across the neck and he just goes like: "You really don't know what you're doing aren't you?" While he is using the same runs over and over and I try to be creative.

Every time he shows me a song he's learned I think thats cool because it sounds good and he's doing ok and I complement him. But when i played the satch boogie intro for him he was like: "That doesn't even sound like the song, you're missing tons of notes and you can't even play the entire song so that sucks." Even though I played it perfectly. :evil:
Ooit wel eens in feedback Rotterdam geweest?
brainpolice

All of the stuck in the 80's types. And they seem to be everywhere. :)
EyesOfFire0221

I hate guitar players who think they are better than everyone else. fellow guitarists should help out those who are new to the guitar. remeber we are all bonded by the comon love for music We have a gift of the guitar and the gift of music it just takes a while to devlope your inner ear . We are all in it for the love of music and not to show off to people that u can play 1,000 notes per miniute NO one cares lol Just Play with your heart and your soul will follow and be sure to have fun lol

Peace

Tiffany
5thD

I'm annoyed by Guitarists that rag on people like Clapton, Hendrix, Page, ETC.

These folks seem to be interested in every technique except the overlooked realm of using the guitar to write timeless ageless music that still touches people decades after it was written.

Noodle on....Noodle on
DannyBoyVai

a guitarist that really annoys me hmm .... i would say kirk but hes been said .. which is good .. hes quite fucking ridiculous isnt he lol umm .... james hetfield too is stupidly overrated .. those korn faggots .. that linkin park moron . we borland ... pretty much anyone who can only play drop D chords or sloppy shite yet somehow manages to get ranked in top 100 lists in guitar magazines ... who writes those lists ? . ive no problem with dudes who can only play chords but why should they get so much praise as "guitarists" when they really are nothing of the sort . its does get to me i have to say ... these duydes write songs that alot of people seem to like , but for crying out loud they simply are not really "guitarists" same way as some dude who plays piano with 1 finger a few notes at a time isnt a pianist . guitarists should be counted as those who actually play guitar .. those who use the instrument ... similar to how classically trained players of all instruments properly learn their instruments .

to sum up i guess i could say this ... those who stop reaching after only a few steps are not guitarists ... they are songwriters using the guitar to aid in the song ... not actually guitarists though ..... but the guys who keep on reaching for greater heights on the instrument are the real guitarists ... and alot of them just so happen to be incredible all round musicians .. and im not talking about malmsteens and romeos .. im talking about all your incredible jazz guitar Teachers and guys with PHD's lol . those are the real guitarists .... k yay l8 pals :)
The Prez

Any guitarist that plays a Nu-Metal style on more than 1 album (If just one, he/she has the excuss of trying to branch out, selling out doesn't count)
Any guitarist who uses the same chord/scale changes every song on every album. (Like E F E F)
Any guitarist who's ego is the biggest, second only to his/her weight.
Any guitarist who's been playing in a band for 40 plus years who looks like he/she belongs in a museum or uglypeople.com
Any guitarist who shreads just to shread, and that's it.
Any guitarist who has horrible tone, plus uses the same tone on every song, like a wah petal on every solo.
The Prez

EyesOfFire0221 wrote:I hate guitar players who think they are better than everyone else. fellow guitarists should help out those who are new to the guitar. remeber we are all bonded by the comon love for music We have a gift of the guitar and the gift of music it just takes a while to devlope your inner ear . We are all in it for the love of music and not to show off to people that u can play 1,000 notes per miniute NO one cares lol Just Play with your heart and your soul will follow and be sure to have fun lol

Peace

Tiffany
I don't, I never claim to be better than anyone. I'm not much into competition.
The Prez

Ivar wrote:
Simon wrote:guitar_love, to say Jimi Hendrix plays with no emotion is not a subjective statement, whether or not you feel that emotion is another thing, but you can see he puts emotion into his playing. To say he was normal is crazy, he was one of the biggest innovators of his time! If anything it was absolutely extraordinary!

To say that Jimi didn't play with emotion is just plain stupid.
Off course, not liking his music is possible, but I think some
people don't realize what Jimi did for (guitar)music.

Let me say this, if it wasn't for Jimi, a lot of nowadays music
would be very different (including e.g. Vai's and Satchs music).

Personally, I can't get enough of Jimi's music, it's incredible!

For me, and we've had this argument on the site, Jimi does play with emotion, but IMHO it does not compare to someone of SRV, who played with more emotion than any other guitarist I can think of.
Jemfever

Guitarists who have no respect for other guitarists/musicians.
All these NuMetal "I use only drop-tuning-and have never heard of VH"wannabe-guitarists.
The Prez

Ones thaat's last name is a male body part, lol, sorry Dave. Had to make a sophomore joke. :D
wickedbaron
Newcomer

Guitar Players that are annoying to me:

1. The guitarist that tells you need better gear (when you own good gear), but they only own a some type of Les Paul copy, and a Gorilla amp.

2. The guitarist you invite over to jam, and they turn what you plan as a night of fun jamming into a competition.

3. The guitarist that brags they're the greatest guitarist to ever live, when a retarded monkey can play better than them.
The Prez

Some have all 3, what a pity.
wickedbaron
Newcomer

The Prez wrote:Some have all 3, what a pity.
Unfortunately some do have all three of those traits ...lol