Best Satch Solo

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
Skyscraper

Personally I grew up with Flying In A Blue Dream so many of the songs from that album are my favourites from Joe. My two main favourite are Flying In A Blue Dream and The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing.

Besides those two, my favourites from Joe include:

Surfing With The Alien
One Big Rush
Crushing Day
Summer Song
Crystal Planet
I Believe
The Forgotten (Part 2)
Until We Say Goodbye

For songs I prefer Day At The Beach (New Rays From An Ancient Sun), Tears In The Rain and Midnight to some of those songs but for songs which have more of a tangible 'solo' within them distinguished from the rest fo the guitar work, I would choose those songs right now. Tomorrow I'd maybe pick ten completely different songs instead of those!

You could ponder for as long as you like about which songs are the best and how you could judge one as being better than another but the fact is it really doesn't matter, the main thing is that Joe Satriani is brilliant and that's really all that matters when you consider his music.
Ya-yo Gakk

I love the solos on 'Summer Song' and 'Devil's Slide'....They're awesome!
JEMavenger

Rubina and I Believe...both way underrated, both totally awesome
Melodic Dreamer

Why
Rubina's Sky Happiness
Flying In A Blue Dream
Echo
end solo to "Time"
mentalist

Every Satch solo is PERFECT!There is no The Best!!!!
My friend, you speak the truth.
fctionised
Newcomer

As far as musical creativity goes- Always with me Always with you....:)
Bono

Hmm...there's so many solo's to choose from, I can't possibly pick the best. I'll have to do a top 10 (in no particular order)

Always with me, Always with you
Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
Summer Song
Surfing with the Alien
Midnight
Crushing Day
Flying in a blue dream
Crystal Planet
Day at the Beach
Ceremony

Right...if I had to pick a favourite...man this is hard..........really close between Always with me and Midnight...I'd probably have to go with Always with me, Always with you.
espguitarlord

I'd probably go with Rubina, or Mystical Potato Head...
WaP

Why nobody said Summer Song? :shock: It is really awesome!
Looosh

- Crushing Day for the long runs and the melody => i agree at a 1000%
- Crystal Planet
- The whole "The Extremist" album is just mind blowing. I never get enough of it. It's been ten years i listen to it and it's just

Well everything in Joe really, he's a hardass
Naveen
Newcomer

My favorite Satch solo is perhaps, Always....... That is one of the few guitar instrumentals I learned to play note for note - (allegedly at least).

The harder part was to capture the feeling behind that piece - its a very uplifting piece but has its intensity - almost anguish, yet in a beautiful way leading up to a great tapping climax that blew me away - much like the first time I listened to Mark KNopfler on Sultans of Swing.

Joe Satriani has an amazing sense of melody and lately I have been quite taken aback by Steve Vai's sense of melody and his phrasing - more so on the slower melodies he plays.
gogo

no one like the classic surfing with the alien
Vaiboy

One of my favorites is "Crushing Day". I often listen to it while I run. I makes me feel like I'm flying!

When I'm in a more contemplative, relaxed mood, I love the melodies of "Flying in a Blue Dream".

My meager words could never do justice to Joe. :)
salamancafiesta

More than solos, well Id focus on emotions they give me, so here are a few oof my faves:

Driving at Night (N O T E)
And the Forgoten Pt.2 and the Bells of LAL pt 2 too. The Bells of LAL is an amazing approach to a chord progression, I dont know how much of it was improvised but is totally mind blowing
mahavira

can't say which one's the best they're all kinda perfect. i simply adore "surfin with the alien" for the driving and powerfuly "rythm guitar" 8)

cheepnis in the case of a monster movie: the cheaper they are the better they are! (F.Z.)