Whitesnake Drama?

For discussion of all general music topics, Favored Nations artists, Vai-related musicians and all other artists and bands.
eyebnez

Somehting about some Pyros going off and catching the place on fire. I think(not for sure) That they are still in the middle of a law suit.
Moderator777

Correct. A pyrotechnic spark set off a fire on some sound proofing insulation on the side of the stage. Immediately it was engulfed with flames and a stampede of people clogged the front doors. 100 people died, including their guitarist, Ty Longley. There is a video of the stage fire and the stampede of people floating around on the internet.

--------------
Mahalo nui loa,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
lucky7

It was an awful thing that happened, and I am sure we would never wish it on anyone but back to the original topic.

I have loved Whitesnake for years before I even knew who Vai was....

I got rid of 1987 but kept Slip of the Tongue.

It is one of my favourite albums.

More so now I love Vai and his music so much! 8)
dex

lucky7 wrote:I have loved Whitesnake for years before I even knew who Vai was....
Same thing happened to me.
As far as I was concerned Whitesnake was the coolest band ever (right ahead of Deep Purple and Rainbow) and I couldn't wait for their 1987 (Whitesnake) album to come out.
When Slip of the Tongue came out (1989) I remember all my friends disliked the album a great deal.
They all said that Vai's "out there" playing had ruined a very good rock/blues band and they turned out to be right.
1987 sold around 10m copies
SOTT sold just over 1m.
Coverdale never recovered from that.
It's a shame but the vast majority of blues/rock listening public was not ready for Steve's way of playing.

I still follow Coverdale and buy his new releases.
The best singer/bluesman ever in my book.

ilia
Oliver_Reed

I'm afraid that Steve was just all wrong for Whitesnake - who are essentially a bluesy R&R band.

Steve is a great player and Whitesnake are a great band - but they just don't go together. I mean, imagine David Coverdale singing on Eat 'em and Smile - it's that much of a mismatch.

That said, there are still some good tracks on SOTT - but good for different reasons. For example, "Fool for Your Lovin" is a truely great song, well written lyrically, structurally and suits Coverdale's vocal style - but very overplayed by Steve I think. On the other hand, "Kittens Got Claws" is something only a player like Steve could pull off - but is quite a poor song apart from that.

Anyway, SOTT is quite unlike any other Whitesnake album (even 1987) which I guess is why the fans didn't go for it - I'd recommend Ready 'N Willing or Slide It In if you want to know what Whitesnake are really about.

Ollie.
harmonicminor

From my knowledge, Steve was called in to stand in for Vandenburg whilst he was recovering from his hand injury. In an interview with Vai I have on a tape, he states that there was no set contract over Vai being with Whitsnake. He was just called in to do the parts on the album, Vandenburg then recovered and Vai had Passion and Warfare in the pipeline anyway. Vai did do a tour with Whitesnake for the album and I think Vandenburg played as well.
It is a great album and Vandenburg is a great player too. Respect.
Blue_Powder

If you consider what Passion and Warfare ended up being and where Whitesnake had been you see they were really headed in very different directions. Whitesnake was really looking to be more of an updated Zep clone whereas Steve was way more progressive to go that route....he'd done his sideman gigs and was ready for something different.

Steve still calls the whole thing a valuable experience for him and counts members of that band as good friends. I think if they weren't then "Sweet Lady Luck" probably wouldn't have made it onto the Secret Jewel Box release.
yamahafreak
Newcomer

some of you guys are on drugs..and not good ones.

Listen to Sykes playing - he's not a blues player, he's a rock player - he shreds in places and does it extremely well. Vai was a natural to fill his role in Whitesnake. The reason 1987 sold so well is that was the zenith year for hair rock. They were on the cover of every magazine, along with Motley, Poison, Bon Jovi etc etc

I think you'll find Bon Jovi had similar sales with Slippery, then tanked with New Jersey, which came out same time as Slip of the Tongue.

Vai didnt ruin Whitesnake, they just ran out of steam in the market. Slip has some strong songs on it, but the hair band revolution was over.

If you guys like 1987 - go get Blue Murder's s/t album right NOW!!! Sykes plays like a DEMON on this record, and its as good as anything Vai has brought out - and thats coming from a MASSIVE Vai fan...
Alexander Kinnaird

Regarding Steve's relationship with the guys in Whitesnake, I think David Coverdale was the only one who was cool to him and the other guys were jealous of him. I read an interview with Steve in a British rock magazine a few years ago and the interviewer tried to get Steve to dish the dirt, but he flat out refused. He was asked a few questions just like the one which is the subject of this topic and from what I can remember, he emphasised that he was treated well "by David" (with emphasis on Coverdale alone). When the journalist tried to probe further, Steve refused to elaborate saying something like "I'm a musician and I don't see the point of me answering quesions like this." I must say, it is the most human portrayal of Steve I have ever read. He is very diplomatic in the media, without a bad thing to say about anyone specifically, which is nice anyway, but reading those comments from him was the first time he ever seemed to me like a regular person who gets offended and upset by things just like everyone else. We will never know the truth about this though, as Steve is above petty arguments and anything we read from the other guys will only be their perception of things. They must have been friends at some point though, as isn't it Sarzo and Vandenberg who provide the dialogue at the beginning of "The Animal" and "Answers" respectively? PAW was released after Whitesnake, so Steve had plenty of time to replace their vocals with someone else's if desired.
Skyscraper

I'm no expert on this, but as Mikey has said before that Whitesnake is just a vehicle for David Coverdale, maybe that's how Steve thinks of it as well, which would explain why he would stress being well treated 'by David' if it was Coverdale's band primarily where he was calling the shots. I'm probably comepletely wrong, but that's just a thought.
Oliver_Reed

Same thing happened to me.
As far as I was concerned Whitesnake was the coolest band ever (right ahead of Deep Purple and Rainbow) and I couldn't wait for their 1987 (Whitesnake) album to come out.
When Slip of the Tongue came out (1989) I remember all my friends disliked the album a great deal.
They all said that Vai's "out there" playing had ruined a very good rock/blues band and they turned out to be right.
1987 sold around 10m copies
SOTT sold just over 1m.
Coverdale never recovered from that.
It's a shame but the vast majority of blues/rock listening public was not ready for Steve's way of playing.

I still follow Coverdale and buy his new releases.
The best singer/bluesman ever in my book.

ilia
I couldn't agree more.

Whitesnake are currently touring - so go see 'em and check out why Steve didn't really fit into this essentially earthy rock'n'roll band.

It's not that Steve isn't good enough - I mean, there is no better guitar player, right? - but his style is not right for what is essentially a good 'ole straight forward rock 'n roll band.

Coverdale is a master vocalist for his style of music - but it just doesn't need Steve's "out there" playing to make it any better. Both are great artists - but not together.

I've got tickets to both Steve's G3 concert in the UK and the Whitesnake tour as I'm a fan of both. Separate gigs for essentially separate artistes.

And I'll love them both.

Ollie.
ROCK KITTEN 76

I've seen whitesnake live at the M.O.R tour along with Y&T(who by the way thought where a decent band and it was a pity not everyone had arrived when they did their set)and Gary Moores SCARS whitesnake where fantastic i've been a massive fan of theres since I was 15 back then i did'nt even know who steve was i have many whitesnake albums and my most favourites are slip of the toungue
among a fair few others i have no opinion on the vai,whitesnake issue as i thouroughly enjoy listening to all of it hehe

i really enjoyed them and thought they sounded great, still today !

i've a few vid streams of the snake and love the now your gone.... great stuff

i think the only thing i remember seeing about a certain rumble between steve and WS, was in a cartoon version thing on the net and to tell the truth i did'nt take much notice of it ...just listen to the music i say :wink:

(edited because i must remember to put comma's in i'm the same talking i need to stop and inhale once in a while)
ROCK KITTEN 76

and for the record i spoke to DC once ...ok he's said to be so far up himself its unreal :lol: ..but hey he was lovely to me and talking to him was a nice experience
Oliver_Reed

Hey Rock Kitten

Are you catching whitesnake on their current tour? I'll be at Manchester!!

Ollie
ROCK KITTEN 76

depending really i've got a replacement car to save up for ..don't ask its not pretty...lol (by that i mean i was in a smash last aug i'm fine ..the car was'nt some say revenge for when the car door royally broke my finger!)

I would'nt mind seeing them again hold on let me check tickets