REAL ILLUSIONS: REFLECTIONS REVIEW THREAD

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
GreenMeanie

GuitarStrings wrote:
OH MIKEY can you tell me who's who on Under It All??? I really liked your voice on that track(if I am not wrong which one is yours)!!! :D
The list of who did the speaking parts is in the sleeve above the lyrics.

Joanne
V41

Dying For Your Love is most obviously a religious/spiritual song.

There's nothing dark about it. It represents Steve's "aching hunger." The deep need you feel for You Know Who.

And I quote the "what I was thinking:"

"Before he can reach those lofty heights that are necessary to be a director of souls, he must first experience within himself a spiritual euphoria that is brought on by a communion with his inner, higher self."

And the lyrics...

"I stared into a mirror for three days, didn’t eat or sleep
Just to see if I could see something down underneath,
yeah yeah"

The rest is the stuff he sees in the mirror, about himself.

Anyway, just clarifying that in case people didn't know.

But "your love" means he's dying for the love of God.

You can tell, he says "we all are dying for your love."

That's just my opinion on it. But I think it makes so much sense, it may as well be generally accepted as the meaning of the song. :lol: Just kidding.

EDIT: I'll offer my full opinion and impressions of each song when I listen to the album s'more.
Virulent

I'm not sure if I'd call your interpretation of the song "definitive" - but it's an interesting one.
V41

Virulent wrote:I'm not sure if I'd call your interpretation of the song "definitive" - but it's an interesting one.
I tried to put myself in Steve's mindset. I mean, considering his usual subject matter, isn't that the most likely explanation?

Upon that, I don't think "Dying For Your Love" is a love song in the romantic/human relationship sense--however, "I'm Your Secrets" certainly seems like one.

What do you guys think?
Virulent

I think it's very much open to interpretation and every listener will bring a different set of ears and experiences to any song that will influence their interpretation.

I don't know if I'd call "I'm Your Secrets" a love song in the traditional sense. To me, and judging by the liner notes, it seems as if the song is being sung by her secrets - that is, "her everything" personified. I could be wrong though. The album is going to take a lot of time and thought to digest.
GreenMeanie

Well my daughter and I just got done listening to the entire CD. My brain is mush right now. All of the songs are absolutely spectacular! My favorite song is "Dying For Your Love". From the very first moment I read the lyrics I knew that song was going to be special to me. (I will explain that better at a different time) I cant wait unitl the concert to hear these live. Thank you Steve for sharing your gift with us. My daughter and I spend a lot of time together listening to your music and enjoying each others company. Now we have a new CD to have some girl time with. :D

Thank you so so much!
Joanne and Mariah
munchocruncho

FIRE TALKS! Ha he sounds so cool. He shoulda said "when i grow up i wanna be a famous rock and roll guitar player."

Anyway, the album rules. I cant choose a favorite song they are all so good. The story is so deep, but i have no clue what its about :P. In lotus feet theres a part that sounds like Whispering a Prayer.... Anway this is one of Steves Best.
laficojr

I can't wait for my copy,but i already listened to Lotus feet and Yai Yai,so .....this would be one of the best albuns of Metal of all these years.....Steve rules!!
V41

In the beginning of "Dying For Your Love," Steve says he stared into a mirror for three days and didn't eat or sleep.

Even those this is a rock fable...

I bet he really did that. I mean, it's Steve. What do you guys think?

Btw, right now I feel like this is my favorite Vai album. It's made me feel the most out of all my listening experiences in my life.
EirikHH

I've listened through the whole album a few times now, and unfortunately I must say I'm a little dissapointed. Maybe it has to sink in a little more, i donno. ..
I guess I was hoping for more 'steve being creative making heavy and memorable melodies' (not that he's NOT being creative enough though). I had really high expectations to the rest of the album, after hearing the fantastic opening track, Building the Church, but none could really live up to that except maybe lotus feet and midway creatures. Freakshow excess is also cool, but not that memorable. Km-pee-du-wee was okey in a laid back sense...reminded me of die to live.

Maybe I'm being picky, or maybe I had too high expectations to Reflections (been waiting like...a year), but when I hear a Steve Vai album, I expect to hear something that really moves me, and so far only 3-4 tracks on Reflections really do it...

Fire Garden is my ultimate favorite..that album had it all. The ultrazone had a few elements I didnt care much for, but the song Frank just made up for everything...
I might get flamed here, as I see alot of you really like this record, but hey... one have to be honest right? :D Anyway I'm hoping to catch Vai on this upcoming tour, as I'm sure the show will be a blast no matter what!
GuitarStrings

GreenMeanie wrote:
GuitarStrings wrote:
OH MIKEY can you tell me who's who on Under It All??? I really liked your voice on that track(if I am not wrong which one is yours)!!! :D
The list of who did the speaking parts is in the sleeve above the lyrics.

Joanne
Yeah I know Joanne, but what I was asking is what character was Mikey! :)
GreenMeanie

Oooops :oops: sorry I misunderstood you Guitar Strings!

Joanne
GuitarStrings

V41 wrote:Anyway, just clarifying that in case people didn't know.

But "your love" means he's dying for the love of God.

You can tell, he says "we all are dying for your love."
Sure it was "dying for the love of god"... I've been thinking that way from the beginning. "We" are dying for your love' is the proof.

(right now I am listening to Real Illusions for at least the 15th time)
Oveja Negra

Ok, some of you made very detailed reviews, so I'm going to make mine very short (at least I'll try :lol:)

1.- Building The Church: It's a great opening song. The title suggested me a very dark or spiritual music, but it's not what I feel with this song. I think it's a very happy and positive melody, I love it!!!!. Anyway, for some reason I was expecting heavier guitars, you know, like the ones that you can hear in a Buckethead album.

2.- Dying for Your Love: This one is so amazing, beautiful, mysterious, ahhh.. I don't know how to define it. Probably the best vocal work that Steve has ever made. Incredible from the first second!!!! :shock:

3.- Glorious: Niiiiiiice, very oriental sound. It's a "simple" but yet elegant track!!!! 8)

4.- K'm-Pee-Du-Wee: This one is almost a chillout guitar song hahaha. It reminds me alot two songs: Frank and Die to Live :) :) :). That part from 1:00 to 1:13 it's so delicate, fantastic :)

5.- Firewall: F*cking GREAT!!!!. Just one word: funky!!!!!! (that air section is killer!!!!!) 8) 8) 8).

6.- Freak Show Excess: Hahaha, what can I say here: 100% Steve Vai. This song MUST be heard at max volume ;). My fav part is at 4:33 when the song reach a kind of break, and then follow a very "fusion" moment, groooooovy 8) 8).

7.- Lotus Feet: Tender, sad, great ballad. You have to hear it. (Is the guitar a bit out of tune? I'm not a musician but there are something "strange" in the sound of the guitar, it's not annoying at all, anyways).

8.- Yai Yai: Every Vai's album has a "freak" song hahaha, and Real Illusions is not the exception. For some reason, everytime I listen it, I see that little dwarf-toys (the ones that Sebastian created in the flim Blade Runner), walking and crashing against the walls hahaha :lol:. The effect is very similar if not the same that Steve used in the intro of Kill The Guy With The Ball.

9.- Midway Creatures: One of the high points of this disc. Mindblowing from the start to the end. The rhythm section is awesome. The structure is not so complex but it's very catchy, you know, everytime I listen it, my left foot begins to follow the drums. Too bad it's so short :(.

10.- I'm Your Secrets: Another relaxing one, nice guitars, very simple percussion. There is nothing wrong with this piece. This track is perfect for the next one, which is brutal.

11.- Under It All: As I said, this song is brutal, not in a heavy metal way. It's because is very complex and the instruments are over the top during every second (except for some passages), it's almost a battle between the vocals and the music, both of them trying to grab your attention. For me, this song it's like the second part of Love Secrets (from Passion & Warfare). Steve sings in a very "musical" way, I mean... it's like Dancer In The Dark, the flim starring Björk. I don't know what to add, it has everything what you can expect in a Steve Vai song, incredible composition.

Hmmm, it wasn't a short review, after all :lol:

Final comment: Thanks Steve, you made it again 8) 8) [pleaaaase, dont' make us to wait until the year 2020 :shock: to hear the next part of Real Illussions]

Saludoskis :shock:

PS: The band playing is AWESOME, congrats, guys!!!!!!!
HarryHood
Newcomer

Absolutely incredible!!!
I have been waiting for a long time for some new Steve. My life was in bad need of some new Vai!!! And I am completely overwhelmed!!! Mind blown!!!! As if I would expect anything less! Incredible!!!!
All I wanted to hear was heart and soul. Steve’s heart and soul. And I have received nothing less!!!! I cannot judge this effort against any of the past as Steve seems to give his complete self in each.

This IS Steve Vai!!! That is all I need and I'll never ask for more!!!

Congratulations on a fantastic recording and I eagerly anticipate the upcoming tour. My soul needs Live Vai!!!!

Thank you and God bless!!!