Has Steve ever played on stage with Eddie Van halen ?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Moderator7VWH

Instrumentalrockrocks wrote: I think you can f*ck of............(80s fan)....
Let's just not worry about 80s fan's comments.. 8)

Moderator7vwh
ultrazone_seeker

Moderator7VWH wrote:
Instrumentalrockrocks wrote: I think you can f*ck of............(80s fan)....
Let's just not worry about 80s fan's comments.. 8)
Moderator7vwh
or at least be a bit more diplomatic than that. everyone's entitled to an opinion and as long as they respect the opinions of others it doesn't bother me.
if you're having any trouble, read the rules again, they're there for a reason.
anyway, where were we...? :wink:
The Eterna Player

I´m a Fan of Both Van Halen And Vai, different styles , Different ways to see the music. I hope not to hurt nobody with this I´m going to say but, If Van halen would have lost a little bit of time , Steve vai with his incredible ways to experiment with the guitar, would have introduced the tapping, all the whammy work and the armonics to the guitar stream, EVH was lucky to born fist, a little more and Vai would have take his trone.
ultrazone_seeker

The Eterna Player wrote:...If Van halen would have lost a little bit of time , Steve vai with his incredible ways to experiment with the guitar, would have introduced the tapping, all the whammy work and the armonics to the guitar stream, EVH was lucky to born fist, a little more and Vai would have take his trone.
the question that's asked so often is that if it hadn't been for EVH, would Vai and others have had somewhere to start from? EVH was as revolutionary when he started as Vai was at his time.
i mean, say i asked the same question about Malmsteen and Pretucci, for example. i'm sure that would stir up a lot of noise.
Skyscraper

If Eddie hadn't been around first, who would have been first to the punch is a hard question. Would it have been Vai and would Vai have been the same kind of guitarist? Hard to say really - not even Steve would know probably as he maybe couldn't say how much of an influence Eddie was on the people who taught him. Basically what I'm saying about that is, ask Joe Satriani! :P

Really though, I think Steve wouldn't quite have been the same player, because from what I've read from Joe about Eddie influencing the way people played (last month's Total Guitar magazine column of his mentions Eddie and talks about this), Joe's tapping techniques were influenced by Eddie and the idea of expanding upon what Eddie had done (with the chord tapping stuff from songs like Midnight, New Blues and more recently Bamboo). That must have meant that Eddie would have influenced the way Steve learnt tapping and this left a couple of years' gap before Steve first recorded with Frank Zappa. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Steve would still have been shit hot without Eddie coming along before him, but I think that either his playing style would be very different (for lead guitar) or it would have been longer before he came to play in the exact way that he does now. Just my thoughts, though none of us can really know!

It's as well Steve wasn't first because then there would have been the debate between Satriani-biased fans about Steve stealing Satch's thunder! Can you imagine what a bitchfest that would be? Doesn't bear thinking about does it?! I think if Eddie hadn't been there then Yngwie would have been first, because other than Blackmore and Hendrix, Yngwie's main influences were classical music and violin parts which would have influenced him to play the way he does anyway, rather than taking his cues from Eddie or whoever else might have been doing what Eddie was doing if it were someone else.

Anyway, Eddie was there first with the shredding style (not inventing the actual techniques of it, but furthering them in his own playing), so it's kind of a fruitless debate albeit an interesting one. I love the way both Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai play, but even though this is a Vai forum I think that looking into it in any depth would show that Steve would be the more technically accomplished guitarist (and more theoretically accomplished) - not by a ridiculous distance as Eddie is hardly a shite player himself, he's brilliant - but I think there would be enough of a difference between them that it'd just about be noticeable. It doesn't matter though as far as I'm concerned, they're both special talents which is why David Lee Roth era Van Halen or Vai's music in my view is far superior to almost everything else.
Instrumentalrockrocks

........Above is good stuff........

:D

:wink:
The Eterna Player

What hapenned , hapenned. there´s no really any way to prove all that teories, the only thing I´m really sure about is the Hendrix Legacy, were would be the rock guitar without him ?. Were I would be as guitarrist without steve vai ?!!, maybe studying maths.
Agnus
Newcomer

Its more simple... 70´s=Hendrix, 80´s= Van Halen, 90´s=Vai

All this guys where so important, vital part in the evolution of the rock guitar playing and music.

don´t mix apples with oranges.

Art is Art
Sport are Sports

There´s no competition in ART!!!!!!!
Leftymonster

what a funny discussion!!...I'm sure that Steve and Eddie respect each other while you idiots are fighting each other.
i think both of them are great guitarists and i enjoy listening to both of them and actually i'm happy to see there are not just two of them.
there is no winner or looser in music and no body is kiking anybody's ass!
David Gilmour never played fast runs, sweeps, etc. does it means that he sucks?! ..Don't be involve in competition my friends because as soon as you involved, you are not a musician anymore. i love to learn guitar techniques in order to express my self better but i respect the other people who can express themselve better than me with more simple tools and elements.
5thD

You know, some of you act like school children, Ed & Steve are BOTH Gifted and we are all Blessed and privileged that we can listen to both of their music.

You know, there's got to be a whole new way of being, and a whole new way of seeing. Time is short, open your minds.

Anyhow, I recall an interview with Steve where he was talking about tone not really coming your gear, that your TONE comes from your fingers.

Steve said in this interview that this point was really driven home for him when Eddie Van Halen stopped over at Steve's studio, Steve went on to say Ed plugged into Vai's rig, playing one of Steve's Jem's and Steve said he was very curious to how Eddie would sound playing through his rig. Vai said It sounded just like Eddie, It didn't even sound like his own rig.

Steve spoke of Ed with great compassion and respect, Ed obviously repects Steve and has said so openly, I have read about every ED interview as well...
guitar_mage

Those are all great guitarrists, but wait until the Harmaline/Telepathine Aural Transmitter is discovered. Mental/emotional images and states are almost instantaneously transformed into highly complex musical measures which would blow all atomic-based instruments away. These light-based instruments will be able to fit the demands of our musicians...o wait, this is still the 3rd dimension...nevermind.
5thD

guitar_mage wrote:Those are all great guitarrists, but wait until the Harmaline/Telepathine Aural Transmitter is discovered. Mental/emotional images and states are almost instantaneously transformed into highly complex musical measures which would blow all atomic-based instruments away. These light-based instruments will be able to fit the demands of our musicians...o wait, this is still the 3rd dimension...nevermind.
I want one, where can I pick one up? :-)
markelia

I think 80's Fan's post are hilarious! The guy is simply a hardcore EVH fan, and he's sticking up for EVH when most people in this thread are implying that Steve is better (but hey, this is a Vai fan forum :wink: ).

This thread started out as "did EVH and SV jam on stage" but now it's devolved into "who's better". :oops:

Here's MY Opinion:
Best guitar tones: EVH
Wider variety of tones: SV
Favored style of playing: EVH
Favorite songs and band: EVH
Original, creative music: SV
Favorite overall: EVH
munchocruncho

Mikey wrote:Simple answer: No :)

Mikey
vai.com
and thank god
dutchie

Ive got an old Guitar Player mag from 1995, with Eddie being interviewed by Dweezil Zappa, and Dweezil reminds Eddie of the time when he came over to visit Frank in 1980/81. He was wearing the jumpsuit from the "Women and children first" cover and had his purple Kramer with him . After a while a young Steve Vai rocks up and Dweezil, Eddie, Frank and Mr Vai spend the afternoon sitting in a circle, jamming , passing the purple Kramer around .

What a way to spend an afternoon.... 8)

So in anwser to the original question, Yes, EVH & VAI have jammed together........... Just maybe not publiclly