The Official 'G3 2003' CD & DVD REVIEW Thread

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
Moderator777

It's time. We have people with the DVD in hand. Please post your reviews here. General discussion about it will continue here:

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2126

Frank comments are welcome - negatives and positives. Tell us what you think. Steve will be reviewing this section so please keep it to reviews only. Use the above link for general discussion. 8)

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
angkham
Newcomer

Finally I have the dvd that i've been waiting for for sooo long!!!

I bought it from amazon.com for $10 plus the 1 day delivery that cost $10.

cameras: wow, it was almost perfect. nothing like the london concert. I was glad that the camera work did not go overboard, it was just enough to give you the experience of being there.

music: I thought joe and steve were amazing!!! they came out with songs that was right for this concert! I really enjoyed watching them perform. Especially when steve came out with a triple kneck guitar and sat down on a chair to play. that was great!

I was dissapointed with Yngwie. this was my first time seeing him live in concert. He definitely has skills, BUT he's not exploring much as far as guitar is concerned. yeah he tries to be different and used classical music, but what about his style???? every solo had the same run. over and over and over again. we all know that he freestyles at concert, no two solo is ever the same, but NOPE!!! they're all SIMILIAR. if you listen to one of his solo, you've listened to it all.

the dvd was about 2 hours long, it showed steve signing autographs with fans before his set. it had yngwie being who he is. (playing his guitar in his dressing room with this little 12 by 12 amp. then looked at the camera and gave teh "what the f are you looking at?"

the special features was crap! nothing special. it had bios WRITTEN on each, and fret cam for 2 song which shows you the chord being played. i was not too thrilled with that . I dont 'htink i'll ever use it.

That's it. the dvd was a blast when joe came out and then vai. after that it was crap.

At the end when they were playing all at once, it was ok. but i kept looking at yngwei because he was being an ass. he would walk in and out during songs!! change guitars during songs!! steve looked over once and wondered, where the hell is yngwie! at the end of the song, yngwie was not there. he was long gone. finally at the end of the show, instead of staying around and let the audience clap, he walked right off. steve and joe were still there passing out pics and stuff.

at the very end of it all, there was a clip of them standing at backstage talking about how the show went. it was like 5 mins long. And again, just about everything came out of yngwie's mouth was just unprofessional. you could look at steve and joe's face for their awkward reaction. they were like..."yea........ok."

I actually ordered yngwie's dvd and it's still on its way. i'm not looking forward for it much now since i've seen him on this dvd.

I would rate this dvd a 4/5 star! I didn't give it a 5 star because yngwie bored me, and just rips the image of a professional musicianship apart!

the rumors are true!!!!
shredder777

woa how did u get it already? doesnt it come out the 24th?

anyone else order theirs from sonymusic.com? you get a free autographed booklet but i think they are all gone now.
shader

I got mine ordered... tuesday's going to be sweet
Moderator777

Again, this thread is for REVIEWS ONLY. General discussion and non-review comments may continue here:

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2126

Non-review topics may be deleted from now on. 8)

--------------
Moderator777
www.vai.com
John

Here goes.
Overall I love both the DVD and the CD.
Steve's tracklisting is great on both, and I'm very happy with the fact that he chose to include less known songs. The production is really raw and neat, it sounds great.
The camera angles are perfect also.
The triple neck piece is phenomenal. It would be pointless to describe it, but you guys are gonna love it!
I Know You're Here is really awesome (I prefer it on the DVD), Juice sounds better than ever, and Get The Hell Out Of Here is just badass/flashy. Whispering a Prayer is stellar, and the Reaper friggin rocks. I know what I wrote sounds like ass kissing, but I mean it. I have to admit that I'm not objective when it comes to Steve though, so take what I say with a grain of salt! :wink:
A bit about Jeremy - he's phenomenal! He hits extremely hard and he grooves like crazy. Great addition to the band!

Now, what the hell is with all the typos? I Know You're Here is listed as You're Here on the CD, The Reaper is Reaping , Get The Hell Out Of Here is I'm The Hell Out Of Here (or maybe it was all intentional?), and in the liner notes of the CD, it says mixed at Mothership studio, Encino, CA. (ok ok that one's not a big deal! lol)
I also wish they would have included the whole show on the DVD. I'm sure it would not have required a tremendous effort.
The CD is also supposed to provide some bonus stuff via the web. I haven't tried that out yet, but it better be cool, because there ain't really anything of the sort on the DVD, and that's a bummer.
Joe is really great as well. Especially Mystical Potatoe and Stary Night!
Yngwie...hmmm. I have a lot of respect for him. He's contributed and innovated so much, and I'm also glad that he was part of this, but goddamn, he looks like an alcoholic buffoon from the 80s. I'm honestly not trying to be an ass or to criticize, I actually feel kinda bad for the guy. He's capable of so much more imo! His material on the DVD sounds like guitar solos. Oh well. He seems to be having fun and he's already done so much, so it's all good I guess.
So here you go. Hats off Steve! I can't wait to see this for myself! 8)
John

I'm totally addicted to I Know You're Here, I can't stop watching it and listening to it. Which album is it gonna be on, Real Illusions or Anatomy of a Soul?
Triple Neck / I Know You're Here might now be my favorite Vai video ever.
Btw was anything edited? Because everything is so perfect! :wink:
sword

John wrote:...Now, what the hell is with all the typos? I Know You're Here is listed as You're Here on the CD, The Reaper is Reaping , Get The Hell Out Of Here is I'm The Hell Out Of Here (or maybe it was all intentional...
My sentiments exactly 8) that irked me ever since they started promoting the DVD and CD :!:

(¯`·._.·§wo®d·._.·´¯)
Melodic Dreamer

I think this is to do with the record labels or Cprywrites or something.
davester1234

the dvd is absolutely amazing.

I loved it.

and I loved that in the vai set, we get stuff we really haven't seen that much (or not at all :wink: ).

that triple neck stuff is simply incredible...but whats most incredible is the note choices. Great job steve. Everytime you strum that top or bottom neck, i get shivers.

Yngwie totally rocked on that video as well. He's really great, very inspirational and very f#cking fast!!!

Joe kicked butt too. Never a dull moment with him, and his tone is dead on, as it was in toronto when i saw him. Mystical potatoe head and starry night were a real treat.

The sound and video quality are great too. The music really thumps, and the dvd catches the essence of the show very well.

A+
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

John wrote:Now, what the hell is with all the typos? I Know You're Here is listed as You're Here on the CD, The Reaper is Reaping , Get The Hell Out Of Here is I'm The Hell Out Of Here (or maybe it was all intentional?), and in the liner notes of the CD, it says mixed at Mothership studio, Encino, CA.
Steve re-arranged the songs - so technically they aren't the same as the originals - hence the slight name change.

The Mothership info is incorrect though - it is indeed in Hollywood. ;)

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
Last edited by Mikey on Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe Nickelson

I got the DVD today from The Amazon People for $10.95. I was overly excited about this coming out, similar to the London DVD. There was really no reason for me to be overly excited about this G3 DVD after watching it. Don’t get me wrong this DVD is worth every penny, but it didn’t capture the excitement like the London DVD. I was at the LA show just before this one so this brings back fond memories of a wonderful concert.

So far, I’ve watched all of Steve’s set and the Jam, along with a couple of Joe and Yngwie’s songs.

Steve’s set:
Words can’t explain it but I’ll try the best I can. I’ve been to many of Steve’s shows and his approach to starting the set out is a complete 180 from the other shows I’ve seen. Usually he likes to come out with guns blazing, lights flashing, sirens sirening, etc. This time he quietly walked out on stage and plopped down on a red chair, strapped on a tripleneck and jammed away. It kinda reminded me of the 1997 G3 tour with Robert Fripp opening up – just sitting there and jamming. Frippertronics ain’t my thing but Steve’s music is. Stunning from start to finish. I was disappointed on some camera angles – they were too centered on Steve. Billy was really ripping it up on the first song and we never got to see it. Dave was hiding back in the corner I guess. I was hoping for better shots of Jeremy as well. Highlight of Steve’s set – I’m the Hell Outta Here. It was very energetic and the band was just on that night. Tony is just unbelievable. He’s a true talent.

The Jam:
Yngwie was annoying. He’s like the guy at a jam who won’t let you solo. But he played his little fingers off. Joe’s playing really doesn’t do too much for me. He’s great and everything, I own all his stuff, but he lacks the entertainment value Steve and Yngwie add. Joe just kinda stands there and plays – good I might add, but not a crowd exciter. Steve likes to get involved with the audience. Yngwie is just all over the place and despite being quite annoying at times; he was a good comic relief. I’ll try to count the leg kicks and post the number here.

Bottom line - buy the DVD, it’s such a bargin! I cherish every note! If you really want to see what a real Steve show is get the London DVD too (20 minutes doesn’t cut it guys, sorry – you can’t just bring the true energy and feeling of a G3 show by just 20 minutes each artist!). I think Epic or whoever really screwed up by not releasing the WHOLE SHOW and make us wait a couple more months. I’d pay $30 for it! OK, that said maybe I’ll watch the rest of it now. I wish I had a road trip to go on so I can listen to the G3 CD I bought too.

Gabe
NOT!!!

angkham wrote:every solo had the same run. over and over and over again

well, that´s yngwie ;).
Vegas_Blues

Jst got the CD yesterday, and DVD today......
I will post a review once Ive had a little time to digest it :D
Mr. Canadian

I only managed to find the CD. I'm listening to it right now for the first time and it's on "Reaping" and I'm laughing my head off cuz it's completely f^cking SICK!!!

Full review coming soon.