what makes steve so slim?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
777lovein

he got sex every day three times that´s why :lol:
ClarkyNZ

Steve probably approaches his diet with the same intelligence and discipline that he does with his guitar.
NOT!!!

sorry, but everyone doing the right sports is slim in some kind of way. And some people are genetical assessed.

And I don´t think you have to be slim only because you are vegetarian ;). In the Alien Love Secrets DVD Steve says, he´s jogging around in the Hollywood Hills.

Jogging may be a good start...
BobDaNob

Yes. When was the last time you saw a fat runner? They almost don't exist.
Bryceybhoy

Fasting doesn't make you slim, hence people who fast don't lose weight. I think Steve is just careful about what he eats. The fact that he busts his ass every night on stage for two and a half hours helps, too!
Big Bad Bill

Bryceybhoy wrote:Fasting doesn't make you slim, hence people who fast don't lose weight.
You ask the millions of Muslims around the world who are fasting right now if they lose weight during Ramadan and they'll show you their now visible ribs! I can assure you, my Muslim friends do lose weight when fasting.
amanvai

That's pretty interesting, because a lot of the muslims that I know usually put on weight during Ramadan. It has to do with eating one large meal a day. Eating smaller, more frequent meals helps you keep trimmer.

I guess it's all about how you apporach fasting. The thing about Steve is that it's a combination of all of the things everyone's mentioned above. Steve has that sort of body type, but being a vegetarian and keeping up a healthy and fit lifestyle maintains it.
Zeds.Ded

bloating can be a result of malnourishment, this is not putting on weight.
Bryceybhoy

amanvai wrote:That's pretty interesting, because a lot of the muslims that I know usually put on weight during Ramadan. It has to do with eating one large meal a day. Eating smaller, more frequent meals helps you keep trimmer.

I guess it's all about how you apporach fasting. The thing about Steve is that it's a combination of all of the things everyone's mentioned above. Steve has that sort of body type, but being a vegetarian and keeping up a healthy and fit lifestyle maintains it.
True, a fit and healthy lifestyle is how Steve's keeps being slim. If his body was down to fasting, he would have to fast constantly, which he doesn't because he would die. The body stores food in order to survive, so when you don't eat for long periods it has enough energy to keep you alive.

I remember reading an interview with Steve where he said he fasted for about 12 days during Alien Love Secrets or Fire Garden, can't remember which one. He lost lots of weight but put it back on later through a good diet.

Some muslims have good abs because they don't eat the complete shite that we (westerners) do, such as cripcs, chocolates, fizzy drinks, lager, wine, whisky, etc etc. I would do ramadan....but I love food and lager too much to give it up for a month!
Big Bad Bill

Bryceybhoy wrote:Some muslims have good abs because they don't eat the complete shite that we (westerners) do, such as cripcs, chocolates, fizzy drinks, lager, wine, whisky, etc etc.
Stop it man, you're making me hungry! :lol:
call_of_ktulu

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Bryceybhoy wrote:Fasting doesn't make you slim, hence people who fast don't lose weight.
You ask the millions of Muslims around the world who are fasting right now if they lose weight during Ramadan and they'll show you their now visible ribs! I can assure you, my Muslim friends do lose weight when fasting.

I am A Muslim and I'm Fasting in this month!
Bryceybhoy

call_of_ktulu wrote:
I am A Muslim and I'm Fasting in this month!
Cool, exactly what do you eat, if anything, and how long for? I honestly couldn't last very long if I had to fast. I have five meals a day (going to gym, so I eat a lot)....if I had to fast I would wither away.

Good luck with that Ktulu, rather you than me!
calos

I stopped smoking, and put on two stone in a month, but most of it was because I was eating really crappy food at every urge to smoke. crisps chocolates etcs.

The weight settled down again once I got over the pangs though.

Sad thing I started again after a 6 month period, stupid me, but I know I'll beat it next time I focus on quitting, and I think this time I'll hit the gym and eat musli as a snack etc.

peace
cal
BobDaNob

Bryceybhoy wrote: Some muslims have good abs because they don't eat the complete shite that we (westerners) do, such as cripcs, chocolates, fizzy drinks, lager, wine, whisky
Alright, so the chips, candy and soft drinks may as well be the equivalent of eating out of the trash, but whiskey and wine are quite good for you...provided you don't blitz yourself a few times a week on Knob Creek or some cheap merlot. LOL The alcohol cleans out your system like nobody's buisness and the tannins in wine have been proven when it comes to antioxidants and overall heart-health. :)

As for lager? Hey, I'm not perfect. :P A man's gotta have his Sam Adam's Black Lager and Honey Porter. LOL
amanvai

Well, fasting is a whole different game. I'm a bit of a health freak myself, so I do it periodically. I'm also a vegetarian and I don't really drink anymore - well, every couple of months I have a few beers with some friends but I can't not do that or uni wouldn't be as fun (Ha).

Fasting is not really about eating, it's about cleansing the body and learning discipline and control. Also, I think some Muslims say it's about appreciating what we have (I guess that would mean food in this case).

Oh by the way, don't forget that Steve has put on weight since he was young and 20. He's just maintained and shaped it very well. I look like 20 year old Steve now - so the next 20 means learning how to maintain that.

Now we run.