what makes steve so slim?

This is the forum for all Steve Vai-related discussion including Steve's albums, videos, performances and frequently asked questions.
call_of_ktulu

i have seen many middle aged people and almost everyone has his stomach out a little bit. But Steve is still so slim as he was in the 80s what is his secret?
lydian2000

gym. everyday.
Rachmaninoff

Vegetarianism?
guyver_dio

all of the above
Big Bad Bill

Also Steve's body type probably leans towards being that of an 'ectomorph'-characterized by long arms and legs and a short upper body and narrow shoulders. They also have long and thin muscles. Ectomorphs usually have a very low fat storage. They are usually referred to as 'slim'. Lucky sod!
pauldlr

And being half Venusian eh Bill! :wink: :D
brentm

Steve is athletic and also has stated that he fasts often (I believe one day per week and one extended fast per year). I'd guess that if he didn't make up for the caloric deficit after the fast, that'd keep him rather trim. He's also mentioned that he runs and bikes often.

He's discussed this openly on this thread.

http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... c&start=60
Big Bad Bill

pauldlr wrote:And being half Venusian eh Bill! :wink: :D
<ahem> yes of course-I wasn't thinking straight.
guyver_dio

Big Bad Bill wrote:Also Steve's body type probably leans towards being that of an 'ectomorph'-characterized by long arms and legs and a short upper body and narrow shoulders. They also have long and thin muscles. Ectomorphs usually have a very low fat storage. They are usually referred to as 'slim'. Lucky sod!
there's a down side isn't there. I can't gain an ounce of fat so I make up for it by eating shit constantly. Do we still die?
sunai

hey cool
today i realized im an ectomorph.
i just dont get fat no matter how much i eat every day!
Big Bad Bill

Hmmm that's not necessarily the case. I take it you're still a school boy-mid teens? Then you metabolism is high, you are still growing (as mine was at that age) and you can eat like a horse. When you're in your 20s, your true body-type will start to manifest itself. I, example, continued growing in my 20s, 30s- unfortunately it was horizontal rather than vertical grow........ :cry:

Zack 'Oxford Tassle Gas' is a true ectomorph
sunai

Big Bad Bill wrote:Hmmm that's not necessarily the case. I take it you're still a school boy-mid teens? Then you metabolism is high, you are still growing (as mine was at that age) and you can eat like a horse. When you're in your 20s, your true body-type will start to manifest itself. I, example, continued growing in my 20s, 30s- unfortunately it was horizontal rather than vertical grow........ :cry:

Zack 'Oxford Tassle Gas' is a true ectomorph
is it like a lifetime thing, coz ive just been the wire i was since i was a kid. all my friends eat like me and they all have a bit to show off. and i'm 18. if what you're sayin is true then i better get exercising. i dont wanna lose my slimness and flexibility, or my very well conditioned fingers for that matter

lol :D :D
Big Bad Bill

When I was 18 I was both slim and muscular. Now......I'm Fatty Arbuckle with a PhD :cry:
Zeds.Ded

a Pretty Huge . . . . .

god im bad
BobDaNob

sunai0804 wrote:hey cool
today i realized im an ectomorph.
i just dont get fat no matter how much i eat every day!
No, you're just burning more calories than you consume, that's all. If you were to consume more calories from quality sources like lean protein, complex carbohydrates and whole grains than your body could use (usually around 4000-5000 calories per day), you would quickly begin adding additional weight. Now, if you wanted it to truly be quality weight, then you would have to practice a muscle building regimen that concentrated on basic compound free-weight exercises in a local gym.

At least 12 pounds of dense muscle is pretty typical for a four month period, with some people going as high as 30 pounds in one month (!).

It's all about understanding your particular bodytype and adjusting your eating habits accordingly, really. That 2000 calorie per day crap on food labels is just a vastly inconsistant generlization.