evo's tissue paper

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
metalprep6969
Newcomer

steve uses tissues paper in evo's tremolo cavity. i was thinking of doing that myself until i realized that the grounding wire of my pickups is there. wouldn't there be a risk of fire with that wire and tissue paper touching each other?
ds23pallas

Not even a vague chance....

The voltage running through your guitar is minute - no where near enough to cause a spark. Also the only way to get a spark would be for the earth lead to disconnect. Thirdly it would take a hell of a big spark to ignite some dry tissue paper!

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it :lol:
Texter

Every night in the winter I take off my sweater and am scared I'll set the friggin' room on fire :shock: But nooooo...nice sparks, though 8)
Those trem springs can get really annoying...have a similar problem on my UV...out of 3 lo-pros and 1 Edge that's not too bad a problem...but is irritating there's something there making a noise when you're completely muting the strings. :twisted:
NOT!!!

Hi!

What does e use this for?
dex

Just cut some strips from washing up sponge - 6mmx6mmx40mm (1/4"x1/4"x1.5") and use some thread to get them inside the springs.
The last time you are ever going to hear spring noise and it looks great from the outside.
I'll take a photo and post it tonight.
Here you go - pics 3 to 6 show how to get rid of unwanted spring noise without stuffing loo paper in your guitar. :wink:

Mr Nordegg, take notice. :D

ilia
NOT!!!

that´s really looking funny ;).

And for what is this for?

Is it diffrent to the sound?
Ryan Layton
Banned

when you use the whammy bar with lots of force it will make a low thumping sound from where it goes back in place. this sound finds its way to your pickups and out your amp. to stop this, all you do is shove something in your back cavity.
davester1234

dex wrote:Just cut some strips from washing up sponge - 6mmx6mmx40mm (1/4"x1/4"x1.5") and use some thread to get them inside the springs.
The last time you are ever going to hear spring noise and it looks great from the outside.
I'll take a photo and post it tonight.
Here you go - pics 3 to 6 show how to get rid of unwanted spring noise without stuffing loo paper in your guitar. :wink:

Mr Nordegg, take notice. :D

ilia
dex, I'm assuming that doesn't give you any tuning stability problems...you don't find that the sponge gets caught between the spring coils affected the return position of the bridge do you?

I may well do that tonite..
ds23pallas

Ryan Layton wrote:when you use the whammy bar with lots of force it will make a low thumping sound from where it goes back in place. this sound finds its way to your pickups and out your amp. to stop this, all you do is shove something in your back cavity.
Not only that, but on some guitars you can hear a resonance from the springs as you play. My RG doesn't do this, but my RX with a non-floyd trem does. I have to say I hadn't even noticed it though until I read about the tissue paper... (and I've had that guitar for about 10 years now :roll: )
SS

davester1234; that's the one concern that has kept me from doing anything of the sort - that idea of the dampening material getting caught in the winds of the spring, thereby affecting the return position...
dex

Nothing gets cought anywhere - give it a try and you'll see.
Removing the trem with the strings attached is 1min job.
Cutting and stuffing sponge is another 5min tops and then reataching everything is another 2min.

Give the springs a few minutes to settle after you hook them up and go wild on the trem for 20-30sec.
Fine tune and you are in business. :D

ilia
NOT!!!

Hi!

Well, how much of tissue do you put inside? Do you put it "behind", too, or only in front of it?

I don´t know how much to take. On the one hand it could detune the guitar, on the otherhand it could be not enough to get a result...