What TYPE of tubes???

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Lo Lo

Steve uses GT ax7's ans el34's in his amps. What kind of ax7's?(C,R) and what kind of el34's (E34Ls, EL34r)?
Patill

well, does that matter?

I´ve never read about this, and usually I´m pretty accurate if it comes to my sound...really, I don´t think this is an important spec if nobody ever takls about it^^.

But feel free to explain what it is, maybe I´m wrong :)
8bigtubes

Patill wrote:well, does that matter?

I´ve never read about this, and usually I´m pretty accurate if it comes to my sound...really, I don´t think this is an important spec if nobody ever takls about it^^.

Of course it matters.

There is a difference in tone between say a Russian made AX7 and a Chinese made AX7. Same applies to Russian made 34s and Chinese made 34s.

Try both the Ruby EL34BSTRs and =C= EL34s and tell me you can't hear a difference.

Tube rolling is a tedious process but worth it cos' only your ears can tell you what you like.
Patill

8bigtubes wrote:
Patill wrote:well, does that matter?

Of course it matters.

There is a difference in tone between say a Russian made AX7 and a Chinese made AX7. Same applies to Russian made 34s and Chinese made 34s.

Try both the Ruby EL34BSTRs and =C= EL34s and tell me you can't hear a difference.

Tube rolling is a tedious process but worth it cos' only your ears can tell you what you like.

ah, so this means Chinese and Russian^^, ok, then it does make a difference :)
Lo Lo

Makes a BIG difference!

These are the preamps I've tried in the last month:

JJ ECC83 [very midrange, lack of highs, average tone]

Ruby 12AX7-A [Average tone, loose bottom]

GT-12AX7-C (Chinese) [Great sweet midrange, loose bottom, lacking in high end]

GT-12AX7-R (Russian) [Big tight bottom, warm mids, clear bright highs]

And these are the Power tubes i've tried:

Ruby 6L6GTM-STR [Big and boomy]

VS 6L6 [Big loose bottom, average]

GT-E34L-S [Deep bass, sweet warm midrange, clear and bright highs]

I favored the combined tones of the GT-12AX7-R (Russian) and the GT-E34L-S tubes. I have a 60watt and perfer a matched pair of powertubes rated at about 7:

Powertube Rating:
1-3 early breakup
4-7 average breakup (good for many types and styles of music)
8-10 late breakup (lots of headroom, great for pedal distortion)

pagliai

well,in the early legacy there was the sovtek A so ,he doesn't use the chinese ,he pumps with master not with gain stage so the R are the tubes.
about powerstage he uses middle distortion tubes ,like 4/5/6 in that zone.I suppose R too.