Evo 2 vs. Evo vs. Breed

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
Post Reply
TonyMacalpine
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 12:48 pm

Let me preface this by saying im not the real t-mac.

But I'm looking to get a new bridge pickup and I was wondering if anyone here had opinions on steve's signature pickups? Thing is, I don't want to sound (just like) like Steve. I'm never one to copy off another guitar player, but if his signature pickups are just great pickups, then I won't limit myself. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these pickups and what they thought of them.

They'd be going in an alder bodied telecaster routed for humbuckers (it sounds kind of like a bright sg...brazillian rosewood board, bloodwood [very much like maple] neck).

I'm looking to get a 3-dimensional sound that lets the natural sound of the guitar through. Something fat and present in the high end yet tight and present in the lows.
Tao-RG
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:37 am

in your case i wouldtake a breed or less an evo2
the breed has very present fat highs and tight lows and you wont sound with them like vai .
the evo 2 is quite more special sounding , the highs are not as fat it sounds sweeter.
i would rate for the breed
bkornaker1977
Member
Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:22 pm

i own all 3 of those pickups.......and my favorite is the Breeds. They are nice and fat, VERY PAF-like, but with more power, and a bump in the mids. The 'highs" are real round and smooth, but the pickup isnt muddy. It is a bit 'bass' excesive if you doing palm mute stuff.......then it tends to sound flabby.......but this is still my favorite pickup for soloing, and overall it kicks butt.

The evo2 is almost identical to the original, but it has about the same output as the Breeds. The overall tone is the same as the original evo. but i noticed it doesnt sound as "trebly" or "ice-pick" sounding ass the original........and almost has a better midrange "wah tone" to it.

my personal rankings.....

1-breeds
2-evo2
3-evo (original)
TonyMacalpine
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 12:48 pm

well, i just pulled the trigger on the breed. I'm gonna see how this goes. It could be cool, and since dimarzio has that exchange policy, i'm confident that i'll get a nasty sounding pickup out of it.

Its going in the bridge of this tele
Image

so since its gonna be surrounded by metal in a bright sounding guitar, I think it'll sound pretty good, even for the palm muting stuff.
bkornaker1977
Member
Member
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:22 pm

a breed will do well in a tele........a tele has a brighter characteristic as it is, the breed will help balance it out.

this pickup will do very well in this guitar....... :D
TonyMacalpine
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 12:48 pm

bkornaker1977 wrote:a breed will do well in a tele........a tele has a brighter characteristic as it is, the breed will help balance it out.

this pickup will do very well in this guitar....... :D
I wish I could get a pickup cover like the one there. It looks so badass with the huge pole pieces
seljer
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:11 am

TonyMacalpine wrote:
bkornaker1977 wrote:a breed will do well in a tele........a tele has a brighter characteristic as it is, the breed will help balance it out.

this pickup will do very well in this guitar....... :D
I wish I could get a pickup cover like the one there. It looks so badass with the huge pole pieces
Its not really the cover but the actual pickup that would be responsible for those huge peices
that humbucker looks like ones of the ones from guitarfetish.com (not amazing boutique pickups but for the price they're more than good enough for messing around with)
TonyMacalpine
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 12:48 pm

seljer wrote:
TonyMacalpine wrote:
bkornaker1977 wrote:a breed will do well in a tele........a tele has a brighter characteristic as it is, the breed will help balance it out.

this pickup will do very well in this guitar....... :D
I wish I could get a pickup cover like the one there. It looks so badass with the huge pole pieces
Its not really the cover but the actual pickup that would be responsible for those huge peices
that humbucker looks like ones of the ones from guitarfetish.com (not amazing boutique pickups but for the price they're more than good enough for messing around with)
yeah, i know. what i meant to say is that i wish they made a cover like that.
TonyMacalpine
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 12:48 pm

well, my breed is here and I'm going to install it tonight. I'm gonna make before and after clips later when I change it. w00t w00t
TonyMacalpine
Member
Member
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 12:48 pm

as promised, here are my clips (please excuse my wack-ass playing)

http://www.putfile.com/wfranklin/media

the main difference is that with the bigmouth, I HAD to use 250k pots to keeps from sounding ice-picky which worked for it in the bridge, but me neck pup (a gfs vintage 59) was MUDDY. So the breed has allowed me to go back to 500K without harshness and with a cleaner sound with more output. I couldn't be happier.

signal chain
HH frankentele I've been screwing with for a year--->electro-harmonix english muff'n---->boss gt 8--->soundcard in on my powerbood 15--->garage band basic track
Post Reply