Carvin Legacy

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
NatiFable

Maybe this has been asked before, but...

What do you all think of the Carvin Legacy? I'm especially interested in the combo unit. Do any of you own one or have you played through one? How much gain does it push out? I like to use the amps distortion instead of having to use a distortion pedal.

thanks!!!!

peace and light,

Rick
ScreamJem7

You can find a load of info and sound samples of the Carvin Legacy here.

If you use the search feature and enter "legacy" you will find many more.

Scott
shader

It's way too loud for me (a humble bedroom player) - i had the volume knob at less than "1" and i was shaking GuitarCenter - (legacy head and a Crate cab)
markmcg

I have the Legacy 2x12 Combo and I agree it is one LOUD amp. The gain is perfect for rock, with a lovely warm tone that really cuts through live. Your not going to be able to get Mesa like crunch from the Legacy even with the middle rolled all the way back but in saying that the tonal range is impressive, just listen to Vai's 'The Ultra Zone' ;).

Cheers
Mark.
JEMavenger

shader wrote:It's way too loud for me (a humble bedroom player) - i had the volume knob at less than "1" and i was shaking GuitarCenter - (legacy head and a Crate cab)
Screw that...

I have a JCM 800 half stack and that thing is never below 1 :twisted:

Just kidding of course. I never even really have it above 0.5 it's just way to fricken loud. When I turned it up to about 2.5 it made some of the texturing from my ceiling fall off. :lol:
jmchambers5

Yea, but almost all amps are like that for some reason. My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe doesn't hardly have any space where the volume isn't loud enough to disturb someone in the next room. I suppose when they build amps they assume that they'll always be used in a live context, not in the bedroom with other people sleeping. I can't have my amp up to 2 (it starts on 1, so 1 is like 0) with other people around. I'm thinking of getting a little 10 watt tube combo for practice and the studio though. Anyone know any good quality small amps? 10 watters tend to suck donkey.
NatiFable

Thanks everyone, I value your opinions on this. I just sold my 5150 head and cab. It had a gorgeous distortion BUT for getting out and just jamming with people....I know why Eddie had roadies. My little butt could barely load it in my Kia! haha I thought the 5150 combo would be easier to carry but you still have to crank that thing to ungodly levels to get the meat out. You're pushing either 2 or 4, 75 watt speakers! I love playing loud, but in certain situations, you need to respect other players and all.

I agree it's hard to find an amp that will play great at alot of volumes, I'm not necessarily looking to find something that plays great soft, just something that will put out great warm sustaining distortion without overpowering jam sessions or killing my cyatic nerve! haha

peace and light,

Rick
Knightmeir

I got a half stack... bought it a couple months ago and I love it. When I buy a house I'll be able to blast the beast... but for now, i'm forced to play at lower volumes : (
badhorsie551

I have the half stack also, got it last march. Amazing clean channel sound, i dont really use it for distortion tones...i usually use my pedal for that.

it is indeed a loud amp. :)
Carlo de Dios

At my place, I get away with using my Laney VH100R at vol 3-4 :twisted: I'm glad my neighbors now are far between :D
Melodic Dreamer

I thought the combo had the splitter on the back so you could change it from 100w to 50w. Is it way to loud even if you have it switched to 50w? I was thinking about getting one, but If Im not going to be able to play it then there would be no purpose.
Jai0705

Even with the switch, 50W is going to be loud. But I mean, I'm sure it'll still be playable at lower volumes. The thing with tube amps of course is, they sound so much better at higher volumes. So until you can crank the motherfucker, you won't really be getting the full potential out of the amp.
Ffats

shader wrote:It's way too loud for me (a humble bedroom player) - i had the volume knob at less than "1" and i was shaking GuitarCenter - (legacy head and a Crate cab)
Maybe I read your post wrong, but they have Legacy heads @ Guitar Center?! I was under the assumption Carvin was strictly a direct company?
Moderator777

Ffats wrote:
Maybe I read your post wrong, but they have Legacy heads @ Guitar Center?! I was under the assumption Carvin was strictly a direct company?
Right - it was probably a used head. Carvin is direct and they have a store in LA I believe.

--------------
Liels paldies,

Moderator777
www.vai.com
gearjunkie
Newcomer

Carlo de Dios wrote:At my place, I get away with using my Laney VH100R at vol 3-4 :twisted: I'm glad my neighbors now are far between :D
what do you think of the vh100r man? I have the same head and a matching quad and it keeps blowing fuses. I think the valves are probably screwed as it has been a while since i have changed them. Also it is has been a bit too loud in the past when I am playing in pubs and clubs, the sound guy cant even mix my sound most of the time cause it is too loud, and you know what most most valve amps sound like when they arent cranked up past 7 o'clock, crap. Any ideas on a nice sounding combo that aint too loud? any advice would be appreciated...