does steve use stock tubes in his legacy?

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
*theanimal*05

does he use stock tubes in his legacy?
electro harmonix?
bkornaker1977

hmmmm... i asked this question years ago....and i never got a response either.

i think he uses the stock tubes to be honest. But the funny thing is......carvin is (or has) changed the stock tubes over this past year. originaly...the amps came stock with EH el34 and sovetek 12ax7WA tubes. NOW they come stock with GT el34-R (still EH tubes, just rebranded GT) and GT12ax7-C (china made).

i really dont think steve has a "special brand" set of tubes he carries with him.......hes probly just a "whatever is in there/plug in and play it!" kinda guy.
jonnyboy mills

hope i down sound like a wanker when i say this but i have a legacy head and cabinet (4x12) that belonged to steve it was used on the g3 2004 european tour ,this thing is insanely NOISEY when i take it to jam nights it wipes the floor with marshall jcm amps and wot have you . most people say to me it should have a government health warning on the back of it. i reckon he must tweak the amplifiers up some way, you would have to hear this thing to believe it. all the best.
bkornaker1977

so crack that puppy open! see whats inside! any mods!? any special brand of tubes?

if it is in fact Steves actuall Legacy that he used.....this is our key to fining out our main question of this topic......................
Vegas_Blues

steve's legacy amps he uses on stage are quite different from the ones you buy from carvin. I would put $1000 on the fact that Steve's tubes are not stock.
bkornaker1977

this is a tough question. Im sure thomas nordeg (his tech) would have spare tubes just in case something were to go wrong in a live situation, and that would determine what tubes he uses in the amps. but then again......steve has 'back up' amps......probly not 'back up' tubes. so they may very well be just stock tubes.

im still gonna wait and see what JohnnyBoy Mills have to find in that amp that belonged to steve............................. 8)
RAR!

Vegas_Blues wrote:steve's legacy amps he uses on stage are quite different from the ones you buy from carvin. I would put $1000 on the fact that Steve's tubes are not stock.
Eh, Bullshit.
bkornaker1977

RAR! wrote:
Vegas_Blues wrote:steve's legacy amps he uses on stage are quite different from the ones you buy from carvin. I would put $1000 on the fact that Steve's tubes are not stock.
Eh, Bullshit.
welll.........it may not be bullshit, but i could be borderline horseshit :lol:
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

They are exactly the same from what you can get from Carvin. When Steve performs outside of the USA, he uses Carvin amps supplied by local distributors instead of taking his own. He makes no mods to them.

I'll take the $1000 in either a check or bank draft. I also accept Paypal. ;)

Mikey
vai.com
RAR!

I called bullshit simply because they'res no need.

Carvin Legacy's are fine amps on their own, they need no modifications to sound great.
RAI

I don't think Steve will ever get away from the "His guitars and amps are all custom made for him. You won't get the same thing when you buy it!".
(See Ed Roman's lovely site for perfect examples....)

Now, personally, I don't give a rats buttocks what Steve has or hasn't done to his equipment. He has the same right as any of us to tweak and tinker with his gear.

:)
RAR!

RAI wrote:I don't think Steve will ever get away from the "His guitars and amps are all custom made for him. You won't get the same thing when you buy it!".
(See Ed Roman's lovely site for perfect examples....)

Now, personally, I don't give a rats buttocks what Steve has or hasn't done to his equipment. He has the same right as any of us to tweak and tinker with his gear.

:)
Yeah, but Ed Roman is a dishonest buisnessman who creates forgeries. His opinion means less than nothing to me. I'd just about believe the opposite of anything he says.
jonnyboy mills

:D ok people ! i just took the back off my carvin legacy head and this is what i found.............................. :twisted: :twisted: 4x EL34 electro harmonix with the words MADE IN RUSSIA 0310 printed on them. ok, next i found........................................................... :twisted: 5x 7025/12ax7wa sovtek 0306 valves again made in russia.and somone has been in the back before me as two of the small washers that fit under the screws were missing. this amp was 100% steve vai's i have the picture from the magazine comatition of him signing it and also a letter from carvin. the amp has bits of green tape all over it with stuff written on it. if somone could tell me how to post pictures of my gear on here i would gladdley share them with you all. :)
resha

jonnyboy mills wrote:if somone could tell me how to post pictures of my gear on here i would gladdley share them with you all. :)
http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12795

:wink:
Igor

you know... there is a reason you have a signature amp... you design it to your exact specs, so that you dont need to mod anything..

like say, but a jcm800 and mod it to your liking.

this is building your amp from the ground up.

i see no reason he shouldnt use stock tubes... and GT tubes aint shitty ones either.

ed romans "views" arent worth their weight in dog poo.