DS-1

Discuss Steve's guitars, set-up and equipment here. This forum is not for discussing general guitar topics.
82DeanZ
Newcomer

Not a big fan of pedal distortions myself, I've always wondered how Steve uses his Boss DS-1 pedal. Does he run it through the clean channel of his amps? Is it on all the time? Is it a modded pedal? Thanks for any answers people.

Best Regards,

Mike

http://www.pariah-now.com
Anthony
VIP
VIP

Steve's signal flow:

Guitar --> DS-1 --> MXR-90 Phaser (usually) --> Bad Horsie --> Whammy I (sometimes) --> Little Alligator volume pedal --> Legacy

At least, that's how I remember it. It changes daily. :) But, the DS-1 is always before the guitar hits the amp and he doesn't leave it on all the time. He does have particular settings, which he's talked about a few times and even posted somewhere.

Anthony
82DeanZ
Newcomer

use the DS-1 through the clean channel on the Legacy? Or, does he use the DS-1 to further push an already overdriven channel. I think I read somewhere that Satriani uses his DS-1 through the clean channel on his Marshalls and I wondered if Steve did the same thing. I actually own a Japanese made DS-1 that I bought new when I was in high school and thought I would play around with it.

I thought I read somewhere that Steve uses a modified DS-1 as well (seeing-eye mod)? I wonder if that's true.

I didn't know that Steve used the MXR phaser. Interesting. I think that's the same pedal that was such a big part of EVH's sound, right?

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Best Regards,

Mike.

http://www.pariah-now.com
Anthony
VIP
VIP

Steve will use the DS-1 in either channel. Particularly the lead channel when he wants some extra kick in his solos.

There is only one input on the Legacy.

Anthony
Ghost in a shell
Newcomer

Thanks guys! I was looking for the answer to this question myself. So it is cool to assume Steve uses the DS-1 for a little extra boost, right? Bought myself a DS-1 recently (Japan-made 'unfortunately') and I'm figuring out how and where to use it.

Anyway thanks!
:D
guitarplayer5555
Newcomer

I remeber reading , I think in the "Answers"section of the site, that Steve uses it most of the time on his clean channel.
ScreamJem7

Here's the quote from the answers page where Steve gives info on his settings:

I bought a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal because I love the way your distortion sounds on the G3 live album. I don't think I'm doing it right though. I plugged my guitar into the 'input' of the pedal and then another cable from the 'output' of the pedal into the 'input' of my Hughes and Kettner Tube/50 head. But it sounds buzzy no matter where I position the knobs on the pedal or the head for that matter. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some piece of equipment that I need but am not aware of? I also have a Bad Horsie wah that I want to use. I'll appreciate any help you can give me. Sincerely,
- Jake Terry

Steve replies: "Jake, it sounds like your plugging everything in right. Check the battery in the distortion. With my set-up, when the distortion pedal is turned off the amp is a little dirty sounding. Kind of a chunky rhythm tone that I use as a basic sound for all the songs. If I back off the volume on the guitar the sound clears up enough to use it for cleaner songs. When I crank the volume on the guitar and hit the pedal it's usually pretty distorted but smooth. The way I set the knobs on the DS-1 are tone control to about 9 o'clock, level at about 11 o'clock and the distortion to about 11 o'clock. If your amp is set very clean then crank the distortion on the pedal all the way up but smooth it out by bringing the tone way down, maybe to 7 or 8 o'clock. The basic sound is in the tone but most improtant is the way you hit the notes. The real tone is always in your head and fingers." Other things you might want to check, if this doesn't clear it up for you, are your cable and positioning. A bad cable could be the culprit for buzz, or try changing where you put your amp in case nearby power lines etc. are causing noise.

Next up is a link to Rob Keeley's site. He modded 2 DS-1 pedals for Steve a few months ago. One pedal shows Steve's settings in black marker. The other pedal has been used so much that the footswitch has cracked on both sides.

Now I have a question:

Does anyone have info on how Steve sets his Little Alligator volume pedal? Is the "minimum volume" knob turned all the way down, so that the pedal can turn the sound completely off, or is it set to a higher level so that the pedal acts as another volume boost?
Nilsefix

May i ask you . i have some questions regarding DS - 1 , and regarding legacy ,, migth be the wrong thread , but , anyway :

1) i tried a Legacy head in a store ,. On a legacy cab , 4x12 .
It didt sound anything like vais sound at all ... i tried like suggestion settings on the wall that was "written by vai himself , and is the settings he use" , but i kinda doubt it .. hehe.-
But , is it a good sounding amp if you want Vai sound? because im kinda researchin on a Mesa Boogie Mark IV to do my Vai sound........

2) is DS-1 a pedal that stands up to the good words it is getting??
is it a "must have" pedal ?

- thanks for eventual answers , you rock fellow vai fans -
=Nilsefix=
Reaper

To be honest with you, I've tested DS-1's multiple times, and have never like the sound I've gotten out of them. Others will tell you that they've always had good experiences, and that the pedals are awesome.

Your mileage will vary... :wink:
JCM

I have a DS-1 too but I prefer the SD-1... tone is better... cleaner!
Dave Swift

I've read about a lot of people mentioning the Keeley mods for DS-1's, but has anyone ever played an Analogman DS-1? I own the DS-1/Pro model and it's simply fantastic. I'd like to try a Keeley someday to see how it compares, but I love the Analogman pedal for now.
Andrew J Dampier

When I was at the 11-23-99 Vai show at Irving Plaza, I was standing directly in front of Steve, (in front of-but between his two monitors to be exact), and his pedalboard was maybe a foot away. It was great because I got to see each and every patch change and pedal click he did.

The DS-1 was used for added boost, as previously mentioned. I didn't see it on any time other than during a solo or a section where he needed to be just a bit louder than normal, or have a little more sustain.

If you've got a Japan made DS-1, keep it...the MIJ's are the most sought after DS-1's, unlike the new Taiwan made models. (Both Vai and Satch use the MIJ's) I lucked out and got mine for $50 off Harmony Central.

You can't expect to plug into any certain pedal or any certain amp or rig or whatever, and naturally sound like another guitarist. This has been said over and over again, and I think the day one realizes that they're not going to sound like another guitarist, is the day the person starts writing and sounding like themselves.
When you hear recorded music, you are hearing music that is being treated with so many different levels of audio production. EQ's, compressors, gates...etc. Your not going to get the tone you hear on a cd, magically flow out of an amp, regardless of it's settings.

Granted, you can come EXTREMELY close, (the entire reason I sold my Legacy stack) to nailing Steve's tone with the Legacy and a guitar with Evolution's in it, if that's your gig. The only thing really lacking at that point, are all the little nuances that make us guitarist seperate from eachother.

I know I get a better feeling when after a show or performance, someone tells me, "Hey man, it's good to hear someone who sounds like something new, not ripping off someone else...", than I do when I used to hear, "Dude, you can pull off Vai well man...that rocks...".

Hell...if Vai spent all his time growing up trying to sound and play just like Jimmy Page...ya think he'd be where he is now?
Junebughunter

Yeah Steve now uses the Seeing eye mod as mentioned earlier

I had a DS-1 and I don't like them...for me now it is all about my ADA MP-1 tube pre-amp...that baby is sweet
bkornaker1977

:wink: Actually, In the website where vai sent his ds-1 to be modified, the markings show that he sets it at (tone-11 o'clock, level- 1 o'clock, and distortion- 11 o'clock). Check out the photos for yourselfs and reference points.
I use these settings myself with the Legacy amp and it sounds sweet! Great for solo boosts!................see yall later! :wink:
Vaijem777

Andrew J Dampier wrote:If you've got a Japan made DS-1, keep it...the MIJ's are the most sought after DS-1's, unlike the new Taiwan made models. (Both Vai and Satch use the MIJ's) I lucked out and got mine for $50 off Harmony Central.
Actually...the (2) DS-1s that Keeley modded for Stever are MIT models :)

http://www.robertkeeley.com/audio6v6/index.html